Question for Bob White re adult awards

BW,

Is there a single publication or source that describes all the adult awards, the requirements for them, the organizational levels at which they are awarded, and the procedures or process for making such awards?

I figure if anybody knows this you would.

Off the top of my head I don't know of one publication that carries them all. The reason is that they are not all related to the same program level or have the same purpose.

Some awards are only related to Cubbing, Some Troop Scouting, Commissioner service, Reilion, Community service, reaternal organizations, Labor, Training etc. etc.. So what you will find are the awards that are related to your job in scouting will be in that particular Leader's manual. Awards related to training are in the appropriate leader manual and the training manual. Service awards are in the Advancemt Policies and Procedures manual and so on.

Hope this answers your question.

BW

Sheesh!

Sometimes it seems like BSA is TRYING to keep people in the dark!

I don't know how big your councils are, but I come from one that is pretty big in geographical size, and I'm actually only about an hour from our council office - but I've never been there. (It's in a kinda bad part of town, too - they're going to be moving in the next year or so) I wish there was a library of documentation that I could go look up some of this stuff!

That's why BSA has really got to come online more - and get more info into the hands of the volunteers.

Most people won't bother to dig around looking for things like I do - they're not as crazy / anal as me! LOL! Instead, they depend on word-of-mouth and heresay - and that's how all that common misinterpretation of the program thrives! Besides, my rememberer is getting old and crowded - I prefer things written down to being pulled from my faulty memory!

Our roundtables have a 'trading post' of selections from the council office, but certainly not the entire collection of manuals, books, etc. And it gets kind of expensive to buy a manual, sealed in shrink wrap, just to find out that it DOESN'T have the info you are looking for, and that you need something else!

I have gotten ALOT of information from training - but with my insatiable curiosity - that just creates MORE questions for me!

Thanx to both of you.

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but I am not surprised.

By the by Laura, I write off my expenditures for publications as a charitable donation. These are expenses I would not incur if I were not in a volunteer position and non reimbursed expenses are deductible.

Have just posted this some place else.

Leadership Training Committee Guide (No.34169E)

This guide which is for Council Training Committees. District Training Committees and Council Staff, does have a full set of the Progress Record Cards, Which can be copied.

As our Council Training Chair, I have made sure that our District people are aware of this. They are at most of the Round Tables, with copies in hand.

Thnanks to Eisely for reminding me of a nagging question -- how much of your volunteer expenses do you record & report. I track any that is not directly expended in my son's involvement. (Obviously I don't claim mileage for taking my son to his meeting. Oops, Should I?)

I do record any additional expenses associated w/ District work, including mileage, publications, (limited) office supplies & uniforms.

Bob

Bob58

That is a question best asked of a CPA or tax lawyer than a scouter. I know scouters who deduct the entire cost of an awrds banquet and that is a legal no no. Some milage can be counted and some can't. if you really think there are enough deductions to make a difference talk to a pro in the area of taxes would be my advice.

The other Bob