impressions and realities

This is the wording of the closing benediction for a Boy Scout's funeral, as suggested by the Manual for Chaplain Aides and Chaplains on Scouting.org (the official site of the BSA).

"May the Great Scoutmaster of all Scouts be with us until we meet again, and may our footsteps lead unto Him."

The Manual also provides the following as a sample "interfaith prayer or benediction"

May the great Scoutmaster of all Scouts be with us until we meet again."

Note that the BSA's own website, in their own Manual for Chaplain Aides and Chaplains" uses the term "great Scoutmaster", NOT "great Master" in its suggested benedictions. Seems to me then, that "great Master" is the co-optation and not "great Scoutmaster". But I have no problem with anyone saying it either way.

Calico

PS: Yes, Co-optation is correctly spelled. It can also be spelled Co-option, according to my Websters.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation when my troop first formed. A mother wanted to know what I was going to do to accommodate our scouts' Sunday obligation. At first I too was put off by what I felt was this woman's "bossiness". But I came around to her point of view after looking at it differently.

Our CO is a Catholic School, and I have always set the tone that our unit would compliment the mission of the School and the Catholic Church in the formation of our boys.(NO small task in a world that is increasingly hostile to Christian values). So I spoke with the Priest and we worked it out as a matter of Troop policy that on all weekend excursions we would go as a unit to the closest Mass being offered to our outing- whether on Saturday evening, or Sunday morning. Non Catholic Scouts in the unit are always invited to attend. Sometimes they do. Soemtimes their parents pick them up at our Church before mass and drop them off when Mass is over.

Someone said it best in this thread- THere are Bhuddist Troops - Muslem Troops - and Ecumenical Troops. We focus on our own faith because so little in the boys life outside of "CHurch" focuses on their formation. And as most Christians understand- our mandate as parents is first the proper spiritual formation of our children.

Catholics do not go to Church for fellowship, per se. Mass is not viewed as a social occasion. As long as their is a priest and the Eucharist their is a Mass. We believe that our Mass is a Sacrament as important as Marriage, and eating the body and drinking the blood of our savior is a mandate, priveledge, and grace that comes from our Saviour Himself. So its a really very big deal.

Our unit centers itself around this weekly event, and the other features of being a Christian in America.

I hope this helps clarify one troops way of unifying faith and scouting practice.

Pappy

Just a matter of semantics perhaps, but the Mass is not a sacrament. Holy Communion is and Communion is a required part of the Mass. The seven Catholic Sacraments are:

Baptism

Penance

Holy Communion

Confirmation

Holy Orders (becomming a Priest, Nun, or Brother)

Marriage

Sacrament of the Sick (used to be Extremem Unction or Last Rites)

I don't wont to confuse any of the non-catholics out there.