Sidebar: M&E (Denigrates...)

Well, I see Merlyn has traipsed through and hijacked several other threads, with Ed hot on his heels, but they seem to have established a new one-on-one thread in the Denigrates... bit.

So, for those interested in continuing the sidebar, here's an opportunity. Please, no comments from Merlyn or Ed, and please limit independent discussion. This is just a "peanut gallery" and commentator blog on da original thread.

-------

Ed trots out a fun analogy with Notre Dame clubs. I've met a few of those! My, they certainly are rabid in their enthusiasms! So do they denigrate others by allowing only ND grads as members?

Merlyn says no, citing the DRP's notion of "best kind of citizenship" as an example of denigration.

I personally still think the analogy is apt. I'm willing to bet that the ND Clubs at some point celebrate that Notre Dame provides the "best kind of education" and college experience. In fact, I suspect that's part of their great fundraising success :).

And of course, Notre Dame itself uses tax money (federal grants and student loans, state of Indiana bonding authority, etc.) to support its efforts. That's not a bad deal, since the government gets a number of well-trained lawyers, businessmen, engineers, scientists, social service workers and the like out of it. But it's still tax dollars spent in a private, sectarian enterprise.

I find the analogy quite apropos.

Beavah