Discipline: Whose Responsibility?

Hey BW, lighten up. I think Ed is just using an old expression. I don't think he literally sees crimes everywhere.

I am reminded of a point made several years ago in the American Youth Soccer Assn., when I was still refereeing soccer. There are different types of fouls in soccer, some of which are quite dangerous. We were urged to use fouls that we had whistled as a teaching opportunity for the younger players to tell them the hazard, and suggest that they didn't really want to hurt the other players. The same kinds of situations arise in scouting all the time. Occasions for "discipline" are also teaching moments.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eisley,

Thanks. You are correct. I was using an old expression!

Bob,

If a Scout does mess up the latrine on purpose, I don't think it is a mistake. And it should be dealt with appropriately. And by making him clean the mess he created, that is appropriate.

In Scouts, we are to help prepare these young men for life. By helping them realize there are consequences for their actions, they will be better prepared for life.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

TwoCubDad - yes, I'm still here. I'm following this discussion intently. Everyone here has great ideas. I'm not really in a position to do anything about what happened on the trip and am waiting to see what the SPL decides.

He's going to read through this string and see what he thinks.

You know what is funny (not really) is that I can't remember the last time a boy got sent home from one of our troop activities. It has been needed so many times but wasn't done. I think this is because of fear of the parental reaction. So many parents will not admit that their child has a behavior problem.

If we are going to institute this policy (and I hope we do) in our troop, we'd better make sure that the parents realize that if a boy is sent home it is the fault of the boy, not the troop.

Thanks for all of your advice and for sharing your knowledge!

Pam

It is certainly correct that many parents think denial is just a river in Africa. It is also true that many of the boys who are sent home from an activity, suspended, or even removed from scouting, are often those who need it most. This is where the elected youth leaders and the boys committing the transgressions can profit from the experience. From the original posts I got the impression that the SM was not backing up his SPL. Now that is a problem.

Curious, I thought it was a really tall mountain in Alaska. Anyway, this thread reminded me of our most recent incident...there are different degrees of mischief. On a national tour permit we were on a long trip and two of the boys were holding...well...rude signs up to passing motorists, in our well-marked church bus. OK, at least they weren't mooning anyone, I've seen that before too. The other adults stopped the behavior and at the first convenience I informed the boys that I would have to 'think' about the appropriate response. Man, this did keep them quiet for a long time! I spoke to the parents and we worked out an appropriate course of action. Those two are now in line as good future leaders. There's a lot of room for judgement and I think that, where possible, the parents must be included. Occasionally, the parents and I also share a good laugh.

P.S. If any of you saw those signs, I apologize.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Eisley,

I couldn't agree with you more as to your point about some kids needing the program more. If a transgression comes from a regular or "star" Scout, we often dismiss it with an oppurtunity to teach, and let it go at that. When it is a boy who shows a propensity for negative behavior, we (adult and junior leaders) all too often swerve into the punishment lane. If we overdo this, we certainly run the risk of sending off a boy who probably will benefit from the program more than the "star" Scouts will.

We feel we fail any time a Scout leaves us, but the partings that affect us the most are the ones by boys who aren't the easiest to deal with. They're the ones that need us the most. They need our attention, and usually in quantities that border on absurd. But despite common thinking that any attention is good attention to these kind of boys, the right attention is the only thing that is likely to make a good man out of a "bad" boy.

Mark