Do individuals in society really value human life as we once did?

Beavah,

Those verses are admonitions to love our fellow man and not condemnations of slavery. I suppose you could look at them in a backhanded way to speak to the issue. Interestingly enough, the Bible does not speak to slavery as a sin or evil like it does to murder, adultry, cheating, lying, coveting, etc. The Bible discusses how an owner should treat their slaves, but never actually speaks against it.

Philemon 8-22

Paul's Plea for Onesimus

8 Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do, 9 yet I appeal to you on the basis of love. I then, as Paulan old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus 10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains. 11 Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.

I am sending himwho is my very heartback to you. I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel. But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do will be spontaneous and not forced. Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.

So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me. I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it backnot to mention that you owe me your very self. I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ. Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thus far the Word of the Lord.

As I read this in context, Paul is exhorting Philemon to treat his slave Onesimus no longer as a slave, but as a freedman.

"Rather, I think that the arena of faith is one that sometimes provides a refuge for persons who don't want to exercise rational thought."

Well, it may be that altruism isn't really rational, and that may explain why the Mother Theresas of the world are willing to sacrifice their own comforts to care for others.

I would also add that while modern communication makes it easier to know about the atrocities that occur anywhere in the world, it also makes it easier to know more about people in other contries and people from other cultures--and that makes it harder to demonize them.

Hunt, I don't believe that we are in strong disagreement. What I meant by that first quote you mention is that persons who don't want to do the work of thinking about their actions can take the easy way out and just follow a mandate from someone or something else. Of course those who DO choose to decide for themselves after careful study - are indeed engaging in a rational process within their own mind. That said, I add that 'altruism' is a concept that is the source of great discussion among philosophers as well as biologists. But you already knew that, I suspect. It is possible that altruism may not actually exist in pure form.

And I agree up to a point regarding communication's advantages. However, I think that prejudice, while enhanced by ignorance, can flourish quite nicely even with good communications. All that prejudice requires is fear and a willingness to embrace it as a means of answering that fear. The result, sadly, is often the hatred that we see...sometimes also enhanced by communications that are not 'fair and balanced'. ;)