Does BSA have a monopoly?

Sorry, BA. I understand your point, but it doesn't apply in this case, eh?

Da BSA adopted the term "Scouting" because they were tapping into the goodwill of the worldwide scouting movement and BP's works, which existed prior to the BSA. We "borrowed" from that reputation, goodwill, and worldwide connection to do our thing.

It's not honorable to turn around and claim we "own" it now. It'd be like Dominoes claimin' exclusive rights to the word "pizza" because they were the first to build a big franchise in the U.S., even though the term pizza was already in common parlance.

Of course, da BSA is free to protect "Boy Scouts of America" or "Eagle Scout" in the same way Dominoes is free to protect "Dominoes Pizza" or "Fudgems."

It's simply a matter of honesty and honor. Oath and Law stuff.

Besides, competition and choice isn't a bad thing. Many countries have multiple scout associations, with none of the problems you suggest, and some healthy competition and rivalry. We seem to do just fine here in the U.S. with many programs that offer "soccer" to youth; some good, some bad, some tailored to specific kids. People in free societies are used to makin' choices between brands of different quality.

And there really are a whole patrol of Beavah's out there, too. I don't claim exclusive rights to the name, though I haven't seen most of my patrol-mates in years. We're all Gnawsome!:)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic