Help with source location

This relates to an issue on a different thread ("he committed a felony" in the Open Discussion).

Adult applications grant the right to examine and refute "public record sources." What is the actual source of this policy and where can I get a copy?

I find no mention anywhere where a Scout has the same right. Is it correct that a Boy Scout has no right to review alleged records used to discredit and dismiss him?

I saw reference to "Procedures for Maintaining Standards of Membership." I have not seen this document at any scout shop. Is it available to mere Scouters? The only source I have seen that lays out rules for disciplining Scouts is the GTSS and it does not address dismissals for unproven allegations which don't even involve Scouting!

Any references to source material would be appreciated!

The law is not the problem. The questions revolve around the BSA's appeal procedures and their refusal to reveal information used to punish Boy Scouts.

I am looking for info specific to the BSA and its rules and procedures and the exact sources for that info.

I'm not sure I understand the question or what you are trying to get at.

I kinda think that might come later???

A youth member belongs to a unit, which is chartered by the BSA.

So while the youth is a BSA member, the BSA is only providing the program, he or she is in fact a member of that organizations youth group.When I was a leader of a Cub Scout pack that had our local Catholic Church as the CO, I was in fact leading the church youth group. It just so happened that this church opted to use the Cub Scout program.

The church could at anytime ask a person youth or adult to leave. While it never happened while I was Cubmaster, I suppose the church might have it's own reasons for asking someone to leave or it might act on the recommendation of the Pack Committee or the COR.Either way the church has the final word. The COR represents the Unit Executive Officer.

If there would be any questions about why someone was asked to leave they would go to the COR or the Unit Executive Officer.

The only other person who can remove a youth member from the BSA is the Scout Executive. He or she is not going to take this lightly and the parents would be involved.

While I'm sure some unhappy parents might want to take it to the next or the highest level. I think (I'm not certain) that in nearly all cases the people above the Scout Executive, will side with the Scout Executive, maybe asking the Council Executive Board or Executive Committee to review what transpired.

Eamonn.

I understand the concept of the CO 'owning' the unit but, that is not related to my request in any way.

A Scout from my unit was removed from Scouting by the Assistant SE. The council and the region refuse to divulge any information or sources of that information to the Scout and his parents except to say that the Scout was 'involved with the police' according to their information (which was recieved frm inside the District apparatus). Nor will thay release any information on the appeals process except the addresses to which the family should write.

AGAIN: I am requesting the specifics of the BSA appeal process and its specific source(s). The "Membership Standards" manual appears to be the source we seek but, we cannot locate it. Any help locating specific information on this process is appreciated.

greenSM,

Are you the scout or scout parents solicitor or advocate, if not,than that is it for you.The Charter Organization could approch the council in requesting additional information, due to their relationship with BSA. The Scout Executive,and the Council Executive Board or Executive Committee need not and should not release information on any minor.

As for unproven allegations , there are civil actions that can be sought, this is the parent's decisions. The'involved with the police' ,can be handle by the counselor for the parents. As juvenile records are onfidential.

You can request BSA's appeal procedures through the Council.