Dictatorship or "Democracy"

Prairie,

I'm sure that the BSA would like to have it both ways, but apparently their current legal strategy is to position themselves as a "religious organization."

As for the term "secular," the description of the BSA as a "secular organization" was one of the reasons cited by Lawrence Ray Smith, Ph.D (Chair of the BSA Religious Relationships Committee) in his May 7, 1998 letter to the UUA explaining the removal of the UUA's "Religion in Life" award from the religious awards approved for wear on the BSA Uniform. The term "ecumenical" is curious:

"This version of Religion in Life contains several statements which are inconsistent with Scoutings values. Boy Scouts is not a secular organization as stated in Religion in Life; Boy Scouts is an ecumenical organization which requires belief in God and acknowledgement of duty to God by its members. The reference to the trouble some Unitarians Universalists may have regarding the duty to God inappropriately incorporates doubt in an award process that is designed to forge a stronger link between a youths Scouting values and religious life".

http://www.uua.org/news/scouts/scouts_to_uua.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter is on a soccer team that IS a dictatorship. The head coach has made it clear that it's "his" team, and that those who don't like his way of doing things are free to leave. Nevertheless, he has to periodically remind parents of this, because they persist in treating various issues as if they were up for collective decision.

I think Bob White is right, technically, in pointing out that BSA is like this, too. It is a private organization that can throw anybody out, essentially for any reason (especially after the Dale decision). However, I'm not surprised that some people would have an incredulous reaction to this, because we are so used, as Americans, to organizations being run democratically. And even BSA appears, in certain respects, to be run democratically--it has an elected board, and it's got this whole structure with volunteers all through it. I think another factor is that the National leadership is "faceless" to most of us--it's not like we are following a charismatic leader, or a leader with divine credentials (like the Pope). I should also point out that BSA has long acted in ways that cut against its claim to be private--such as using schools and other government entities as sponsors. This is what caused a lower court to find BSA to be a "place of public accomodation" in the Dale case.

I guess what I'm saying is that many Scouters probably have trouble thinking of BSA as an organization that "belongs" to some unknown people in Irving, Texas, even if that is technically true.