Unbiased history/information sources?

NJ, I feel rejuvenated, too, and am willing to go a few more rounds on this.

I largely agree with you, and think the best course would be for BSA to allow COs to decide this particular membership question.

However, I think your argument cuts too broadly. It suggests, I think, that BSA can't have a "moral" position unless it is really a "religious" position. I'm not sure I agree with this, and I'm not sure that a particular moral position is disqualified as sectarian just because you can find a sect that disagrees with it. There are certainly sects with views that come into conflict with other positions of BSA (racial purity, sacramental drug use probably), and I don't think you would accuse BSA of being sectarian if it enforced its standards in the face of claims from such groups. I'm not sure why it matters that those are fringe groups, while more mainstream groups disagree about whether homosexuality is moral or not.

To make it more concrete: currently, it would be unthinkable for BSA to allow an Aryan Church with racist religious views to be a CO at all, much less to enforce racial membership and leadership requirements. Our society reached a "tipping point" in which the broad culture accepts that racist viewpoint as immoral, even if there are some people who hold it as a relgious belief. If the Aryan Church claimed that BSA was being "sectarian" by not letting them participate, we'd all scoff.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic