A National Tragedy- the Space Shuttle has exploded

If you have not checked the news yet, the space shuttle and all aboard have been lost on re-entry. The cause of the massive explosion is not unknown at this time. Debris is falling on the Texas region.

Our thanks to the brave men and women of the space program and we give our prayers to the families of those who died.

Proud of what we as a race can accomplish and sad for the price we pay, as a nation, and personally by those who take the risks.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I was on my way to work in January 1986, listening to the radio, when I heard the news of the Challenger disaster. It seems to me we were collectively paralyzed with shock and sorrow; everyone was preoccupied with it, and the "aftershocks" continued for quite a while. To those of you who remember Challenger, is it the same there now? It doesn't seem to be overseas, here anyway. Things seem much more business-as-usual than after Challenger.

Are we becoming desensitized to tragedies like this, or is there some other explanation? Does a disaster have to eclipse 9-11 to capture our attention like Challenger did?

Today, on Scout Sunday, with all of us in uniform, our chaplain offered a special prayer during Mass to the victims and families of the Columbia crew...then reminded the congregation that 26 of the first 29 astronauts were Scouts.

KS

KS,

Your perception about the impact of a tragedy like this I think is correct. I noticed it in myself. I found myself pausing, saying a prayer, thanking these brave men and women for what they have done, and basically going on with my life. When I caught myself doing this, I was ashamed. However, on a radio talk show today, I heard the host describing the same reaction. I started thinking my attitude, as bad as it is, may not be so abnormal. How sad.

Mark

I think it is a matter of perspective. I saw several former astronauts on TV this weekend talking about the tradgedy. 911 caught our attention because 3000 average Joe's were murdered sitting at their desks in one fell swoop. Passenger planes that millions of people fly on every year were hijacked and makes one pause and question safety. After 911, we all said, "there but for the grace of God".

The former astronauts were explaining that each and everyone of these men and women and their families knew the risk. They are explorers and pioneers doing an extremely dangerous task. That does not negate the tragedy, it just makes it more understandable.

911 was sensless. Each Shuttle launch has a known potential for disaster regadless of all the safty precations taken.

I know this sounds treasonous, but I have to express this thought and get reaction. Why are we making such a big deal about these 7 astronauts? Last week a Blackhawk helicoptor went down in Afghanistan kiling the 4 member crew, why did we not see these men on TV, get a personal resume on each of them such as the astronauts. Were these 4 men any less important to our country? I am not sure what the death toll in Afghanistan is right now, but I know its over 7.

Make no mistake, I admire the astronauts, it takes great courage to do what they do. They expected to be home on saturday. They were to follow in the path that has been traveled before without a problem. Every day in Afghanistan our soldiers wake up not certain they will be sleeping or dead in the evening.

If/when we invade Iraq there will be causalities, many more than 7 and those who will compose the invasion force will know not all will be comming home alive.

I guess my point, and I have made it in a rather clumsy manner is while we should regard the Columbia Crew as heroes, lets not forget the armed forces who stand ready, knowing they WILL lose soldiers and those who have already paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Hi OGE,

I don't think anyone means to overlook the sacrifices made by our military. In Fact I'm sure more of us have a family member in the armed force than we have in the astronaut program. There is just something so romantic to the human spirit about space travel and reaching beyond or planetary limits that captures our imagination and attention. Does that make sense?

BW

Yes Bob, it does make sense, I understand the allure of space, but perhaps if all the presidents and rulers of the world had to attend the funerals or memorial services of slain soldiers and face their families, we may be a more peaceful planet.

Lets not forget our Astronauts, or anyone else who dies in the service of our country

I think there is no less respect for our military. The space program is just a single focal point of all the good we view of Americanism. It represents us. What makes us unique in the eyes of the world is that we appear limitless in our power and they see our Military as our strength. But we Americans feel our strength comes from the courage to look into the unknown and explore it. We use our Military to protect that strength, not to push it. One reason so many foreigners move to the U.S. is because there are no limits to who we can be, and where we can go. How many times have your heard that the United States is the land of opportunity. I remember very well the first shuttle landing. I was very proud for us all.

Barry