troop_358_potlatch,

The counselor did this merit badge at a few troop meetings. My son missed part of the discussion one night, but he finished the requirements at a later time. He did a work sheet that I had gotten off the merit badge website. It was turned into the counselor, but she would not accept just that. He worked for 3 hours to finish this. I would think that it would be proof that he had done what he was supposed to do.

A merit badge counselor's job can be broken down into three parts -

1) Verify that the requirement was done (i.e., the boy gave a 5 minute speech, did chores for 90 days, etc.). The MB counselor doesn't have to personally witness the event unless its specifically spelled out in the requirement.

2) Verify that the boy has a proper understanding of the requirement (i.e., per the requirement, explain how this works - this being whatever the requirement dictates). The MB counselor doesn't have to teach the requirement (although some do).

3) Verify that the boy can perform a certain skill as dictated by the requirements (i.e., can tie a square knot, etc.) The MB counselor does have to teach the skill (although some do).

If the counselor in your post is refusing to accept your son's work because it was not done at a previously arranged meeting for the troop, then I say the counselor doesn't understand his responsibility. He should be willing to meet with him as an individual (but accompanied by another per the G2SS) and accept reasonable evidence that the work/requirement was met. If not, he's just being stubborn. It is not the MB counselor's job to teach, demonstrate, or even bare witness to specific events (unless specifically stated). He certainly can - and it definitely should be appreciated if he does, but that is not his responsibility. His responsibility is to verify that the boy has a proper understanding and that he met the requirement.

In short, if I were in your shoes, I'd ask the troop advancement person or the Committee Chair to consult the MB counselor to verify that he understands his responsibilities properly. If your son met the requirement, he should get credit for it. It doesn't matter that he was not at some prearranged meeting for the MB counselor. Now, the MB counselor, if he wants to get "silly", has the freedom to refuse to meet with a boy. But, this has nothing to do with "proper verification" of requirements. It sounds more like - the MB counselor had a plan and doesn't like boys straying from it. You realize, your son is free to meet with other MB counselors?

Having said all the above, I defer to Bob White on this subject. I may have overstated my point, but I think not. Regardless, Bob White knows more about it than I.

K9gold-scout,

Has anyone told you that you're repetitive? ;)

troop_358_potlatch,

The counselor did this merit badge at a few troop meetings

Another small point

It's not the MB counselor's badge. Obviously, she was doing some work with the troop (i.e., "a group merit badge" discussion). This is done for the MB counselor's convenience. It allows him/her to meet with several boys at the same time to verify requirements are done (or will be done) properly. The MB counselor should be willing to meet at other times with individuals.

This is hwy it is important for everyone to follow the advancement procedures. A scout is not required to use any specific MB counselor as long as the counselor he uses is registered, qualified and approved to do that Merit Badge. It is unfortunate that units create this sort of abuse. Your scout needs to find another qualified counselor who will do the job correctly and get them registered and approved with the council. This would normally be the responsibility of others to do, but in this case I would get it done yourself.

Good Luck,

Bob White

BW,

In my council we are taught that the responsibility of assigning merit badge counselors (MBCs) is the task of the SM. The procedure is the Scout approaches the SM (or advancement chair) about his wish to work on a particular merit badge. It is the SM (or advancement chair) who holds the resource which lists the MBCs, gives the scout a prospective MBC name and phone number. The youth then makes the call to the MBC.

Sometimes the SM (or advancement chair) gives the youth a few names or and the scout can pick the MBC from that group.

Therefore, the youth does not pick the MBC directly. I do agree with you that the SM (or troop) should in no way hinder or keep the boy from selecting a different MBC if that is the boy's wish. However, ultimately, the selection of the MBC falls on the SM (or advancement chair). Afterall, he needs the SM signature to BEGIN working on the MB. Of course for instances like summer camp, the "rules" are slightly different.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Hi acco40,

I appreciate that the things you read here are not always what your troop, district or council does. the important thing is that leaders know and hopefully follow the BSA program. Unfortunately due to habit, choice, or error, some people stray or ignore the current program.

Nowhere in the BSA program does it say that the SM chooses the counselor. The Scout handbook, Scoutmaster Handbook and Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual says that 'the Scoutmaster makes sure the scout has a qualifeid counselor'. Also, nowhere does the program say the scout has to ask for the Scoutmasters "permission" to work on a merit badge. All the references to merit badge work says that the Scout "chooses" the merit badges he wants to work on and gets a merit badge card from the scoutmaster.

The first signature from the scoutmaster aknowledges that the scout has a qualified MB counselor. The last signature on the merit badge is a signed receipt to the scout that the card has been turned back in to be recorded. It is there incase the SM or other Adult loses the card. The second signature is not required to be the scoutmaster's just a registered leader in the troop. The second signature does not approve the Merit badge. The BSA program resources are quite clear that only a MB counselor approves the award.

As I said before the problems always occur when we stray from the program not from when we follow it.

Bob