the power of a scoutmaster

I was just wondering, what is the BSA policy in throwing a scout out of the troop? Sure, blatant and obscene obstructions of rules and regulations regarding such things as violence and whatnot could indeed provoke such a drastic doing, but can something as simple as youthful "disrespect" be a reason for throwing a kid out of a troop?

If so, is it the scoutmaster's and/or committee's decision to do so, or must the decision be presented to the local district or council?

You'll need to give us more information.

can something as simple as youthful "disrespect" be a reason for throwing a kid out of a troop?

I don't think you'll get much support from this group for that. If this were the case, all of our packs and troops would likely be much smaller. I have a few boys that I have a constant problem with. One in particular is a special project that I have been working on for many years. I've used the "live by the Scout Oath & Law" requirement for rank advancement as a measuring stick for him to grow by. At every level I expect him to improve his behavior. Eventually, I hope to have a well-mannered, mature Eagle Scout. If not, at least he will have grown some along the way.

If you do have "grounds" for removing a boy from the troop, it is imperative that you have the Troop Committee and Charter Organization on board with you.

I never thought as myself as having power?

As adults we are here to serve the Scouts. While I agree that there are some behavior that can not be allowed or tolerated: Bullying, Hazing, use Of Drugs and Alcohol and that list could go on.

I'm big on manners and like to deal with well mannered people be they adults or youths. I at times do turn a deaf ear depending on the situation. For example at the last Jamboree the troop was putting up tents. It was 100+degrees the ground was very hard and frustration was high. I visited each Patrol with my best "You Can do it speech" As I walked away I heard more then one Patrol say that I was full of it!! They were more then lightly right!! I choose to take plenty of no notice.

If we lead using the Scout Oath and Law as our model making sure that we are being Kind, Cheerful and helping others. I have found that boys of Scout age respond very well to that. If we are aware of how a group works in order to get the task done that is a big help.

I hate to see any Lad asked to leave Scouting. But in answer to your question matters of discipline ought to be handled by the troop committee and if a Scout is asked to leave the troop this should come from the chartered organization, most CO would allow the IHR to speak for them.

In most cases the Scout would be allowed to join another troop, which if things have got this far would probably be the best thing all round.

Again in most cases the District or Council would not want to get involved in a case like this, it is a matter for the Troop Committee and the Chartering Organization.

Eamonn