For the Youth, the Lurkers, and the Youthful Lurkers

I don't know how many Lurkers there are on this site, the regular posters just know there are some.

Some of the regulars strive to correct weird outlandish musings and rebutt just plain silly postings. But, the First Amendment being what it is, all visitors to this Forum are advised not every thing posted is true, accurate or even sensible and not all present posters are active in the Scouting program

OGE,

The old line still rings true:

I may hate what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I've gotten to the point where I don't even open up the threads anymore. I'm thrilled he has a forum to vent. We each have the right to pay attention or not.

Gosh, it's a great country, isn't it?

Mark

I'm fortuante to have purchased the optional kook alert when I bought my current computer system. It has paid for itself over the past few weeks.

I hate to think that any of the Scouts who read the forums would fall for the claptrap posted recently.

I've been on the road the past few weeks and havn't had time to respond or post much, but have been lurking some. Given some of the current topics I don't now where I'd begin and question if it's worth the effort.

OGE's caveat to those that don't read these posts regularly is well timed and gets another thumbs up.

SA

This is taken from the book, "The Church Impotent", by Leon Podles. He is a Roman Catholic with six sons.  His sons are in Scouting and is an Assistant Scoutmaster.

"In almost all societies, learning to be masculine also means being initiated into the religion of that society, since religion teaches the meaning of the mysteries of the life and death. The holy is a masculine category: men develop their masculine identity by a pattern of seperation, both biological and cultural, and to be holy means to be seperated. The more transcendent God is, the holier he is and the more masculine he is." pg 197

"Learning to be masculine". Wow. How can men develop their masculine identity when mixed and lead by women??????

Let us not forget that Truth and Knowledge are what makes for GOOD SCOUT CITIZENSHIP. 

I would like all the 'people' attacking me now go attack Mr. Podles. Please.

Ya know, the good Mr Podles is expressing an opinion, and I have the option of reading it or ignoring it. I really don't know why I should be motivated to 'attack' him for his thoughts and ideas(or support him for that matter)

And one of the things that I really enjoy about him is that he's not constantly delivering long and intrusive diatribes about things that I'm not really interested in picking apart and reinterpreting for my own reasons. While I'm sure that Mr Podles would respond politely if contacted, he (like many) are content within themselves and feel no need for public displays of...

Just out of curiousity, Wheeler, how did you used to occupy the time that you currently use in sharing your thoughts with us?

I never had as much fun as when I was a Scout and I am an adult leader today in the finest youth program in the world today, the BSA. Its aims of Charactor Building, Citizenship and Physical Fitness as acoomplished through the eight methods of scouting is what all youth need in today's world.

OldGreyEagle

Eagle Scout, Father of an Eagle Scout, past assistant scoutmaster, current troop committee member, Venture Crew Assistant Advisor, District Advancement Chair, Assisitant District Commissioner Venturing

Wheeler,

No one on this thread attacked you. as a matter of fact, no one even mentioned your name. Everyone up until your post spoke about the right of anyone to have and share an opinion, and the right of everyone else to either read or ignore that opinion.

To borrow a phrase from one of my favorite people...

And no back to my regularly scheduled forum.

Mark

For some people (Ill admit myself sometimes) believe if you do not agree with what they are a saying then you really are not listening. For if you really listened you would agree with them.

A corollary to this, if the process go against them or their views (a vote, hiring, etc.) the process must be flawed, because if the process was fair the result would be what they wanted.