Independence Hall Security

This is primarily for DSteele and relates to a conversation we had in the chat room. Since there were several folks in the room at the time, I'm posting it here for everyone instead of PM-ing it.

From our local weekly paper:

According to a story in the Philadelphia Daily news, 20-year-old student Jake Browne decided to exercise his First Amendment right to free speech on July 5. The location? A park bench behind Independence Hall. His instrument of protest? A hand lettered sign saying "Free Independence Hall!!"

"Every day, I look at the metal bike racks around Independence Hall and think, 'That's so ugly,'" Browne said. "Even with red-white-and-blue bunting it looks like a prison." His demonstration involved leaning the sign against a park bench while he quitely ate his lunch.

Shortly after beginning this seditious rebellion, a park ranger approached and, according to Browne, told him he could not protest there because it was federal property and (I'm not making this up) a "First-Amendment-free zone." Protesters could exercise free speech in a designated First Amendment Zone outside the Visitor's Center, two blocks away.

At first, Brown was shocked then awed by the ranger. He said he'd turn his sign around while he ate his lunch. The ranger warned him not to turn the sign back around or he'd be arrested. The double exclaimation marks on his sign no doubt identified Browne as a potential terrorist or enemy combatant.

A few minutes later, about a dozen rangers lined the metal fence near his bench, presumably on heightened Code Orange alert, watching until Browne finished his lunch and left.

Chalk up another W in the Terrorist Treats Averted column.

I think Brown's story is sad. He is a strong young man. I also think it's sad that the cradle of liberty -- the home of American Independance is covered by thick security.

I think we should leave it alone. If someone blows it up, I say stay out of the way of those of us who will tear the terrorist from limb to limb.

This opinion does not reflect the opinion of the BSA. It is mine alone and has no standing with the national office.

DS

Wow, this is bad news. I was hoping to take a group of our Cubs and their families to the city to tour the historical district. I have actually been putting it off due to not knowing about security; many times buildings are just closed for security reasons. Since our boys are into carrying their knives and love to touch, well everything!, I'll have to give this some more thought. Any suggestions on how best to plan a trip that is close by and very doable for Cubs?

I don't see what the problem is. Most monuments have rules against protests on the grounds. Try to stage a protest at Old Faithful and they'll tell you to there as well.

I don't think that Cub Scouts will have a problem.

Cub Scouts won't have a problem. They'll have to get the free tickets like everyone else. My melancholy stems from the lost ability to just walk up to the building and touch it. Nevermind other historical markers. This one is special because the Declaration of Independance and our Constitution were voted into effect there. If they are not free from security, then security itself has taken a "ding."

It isn't right IMHO.

DS