New Requirements for Travel

Well I was hopeing. This is a big issue around here. A local church had a van that crashed and killed several youth on their on a Mexico Mission Trip. It appears the driver feel asleep. While it was no fault of his own, the organizer of that trip is a father of three scouts in our Troop. We have a large group of older scouts and we had to set some kind of policy the adults could feel comfortable with. Our CC felt certain she saw a BSA policy of 21 somewhere but couldn't find it. Kind of hits close to me. My older son is almost 20 and was thinking he'd help drive to Philmont this summer. He will have to wait.

Thanks for the information.

Barry

You need to read the back of the form closely when you talk about under 18yr old drivers. A 16 yr old cannot drive to local events, only area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity. If he is in Venturing then the 3 rules apply.

1. Six months' driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent is not to be counted)

2. No record of accidents or moving violations

3. Parental permission granted to the leader, driver, and riders.

This is one of those things that are hard to explain to a scout who drives to a lot of things.