Baden-Powell says...

Lord Sir B-P has been mentioned here as though he is the final determinant for all things Scout. IF (a big if, I think) this is true, consider this in terms of the local standards issues:

"Fortunately, in our Movement, by decentralisation and giving a free hand to the local authorities, we avoid much of the red tape which has been the cause of irritation and complaint in so many other organisations."

- from "Aids to Scoutmastership"

BP was a man ahead of his time in many ways, particularly in his understanding of boys. However, I am not sure of the point of this thread. From my perspective scouting strikes a decent balance between central control of standards in uniforming, safety rules, advancement, etc. and local autonomy at the council and unit level. What's the big deal?

Having said all that, there is no question that scouting has become more paperwork driven.

eisely,

the point has to do with the whole "community standards" push - for leadership and membership - that was rejected by Texas.

I think it would have been a graceful and just resolution to some sticky issues... still do, actually! (Gad, I am SO transparent!)