Scout return after prolonged absence

Some of the projects they've done include renovating monuments in the area, reconstructing baseball field dugouts, erecting bus shelters, preparing emergency evacuation plans and diagrams for apartment complexes, and others.

Some of the coordination can be more difficult with language barriers and whatnot, but on the other hand, there are some really unique opportunities out there, and there's never any shortage of help/support from the military community, too.

KS

Shemgren,

Where did you get the statistic on average age for Eagle? I'm not questioning it. As a matter of fact, our troop's experience is about the same. But much of the conversation I see on the topic of age for Eagle (both on this forum and locally) make it seem like 15 1/2 - 16 is average. If you have any real stats, I'd love to see them, because I think you're right.

Koreascouter,

Everytime I read one of your posts, I develop a higher level of respect for you. You always take the most pragmatic position on questions and issues, and you leave no doubt as to your commitment to the boys in your troop, and scouting in general. Please keep posting.

As to the question, I agree with everyone here. I think the only thing I can add is concerning his absence. Was he still a registered scout? If so, I believe he definately had a responsiblity to live the scout oath and law, and should be asked to address how he did so during his absence. And even if he was not registered, were I the Scoutmaster, I think I'd ask him to describe what he did to live up to them even when he wasn't a scout.

Other than that, if he meets the requirements, he deserves Eagle. I would certainly set he and the ASM with whom he had a problem down to iron out any remaining animosity. Both deserve, and should be expected, to work things out.

Mark

MK:

Thanks for the kind words, although I'm not sure I deserve them -- I forget more than I remember, and have burned the biscuits more than anyone else in the Troop! As far as commitment to Scouting, check with me in a month. We just took delivery of our popcorn...first time we'll sell it here!

KS