As long as we're on the subject....

Many moons ago I started a thread regarding agnosticism. The question is, would an agnostic position be acceptable compliance with the scout oath, etc? What about a deist position? Is it necessary to affiliate with any organized religion at all to do one's duty to god?

The question is, would an agnostic position be acceptable compliance with the scout oath, etc?

I have seen suggestions both ways but nothing authoritative. I have heard agnosticism lumped in with the big G, "godless," where Scouting is concerned. On the other hand, if agnosticism (of which I was a "practitioner" in my younger days) means you "just don't know," then aren't you accepting the possibility that there is a God? You aren't saying that there isn't a God. Isn't that enough?

The question might be expanded to one of the two types of people that I have seen classified as "atheists." One group believes there is no God. They obviously are not welcome in the BSA. The other group does not affirmatively believe in God, but does not believe there is no God, either. (I think I was also like that at one point, including while I was a Boy Scout.) This might be better classified as agnosticism.

If anyone in either of these groups (agnostics and half-atheists) is willing to pledge their "duty to God," I don't see any reason to exclude them. I think there are a lot of teenagers who feel one of these ways but are afraid to say so, and in reality they are confused and have yet to actually figure out what they believe. (I say this from personal experience.) In my opinion, it is only the people who say "I Know There's No God" who cannot say the Scout Oath and Law with a clear conscience.

What about a deist position?

I may be speaking from self-interest here, but that shouldn't be a problem. If the BSA accepts "Mother Nature" as a religious belief, then those of us who believe that some "higher power" created the Universe but aren't sure of anything else, and don't know (or necessarily care about) the nature of the higher power or whether he/she/it is with us today, should be ok too.

Is it necessary to affiliate with any organized religion at all to do one's duty to god?

Again, I have a personal interest here, but I am sure the answer is no, and I believe I have seen some official pronouncement to this effect.

Here are the bulleted items from the section on religious principles in the Cub Leader Handbook (page 8-3):

"The BSA does not define what constitutes a belief in God or the practice of religion."

"The BSA does not require membership in a religious organization ... but strongly encourages membership or participation...."

"The BSA respects the convictions of those who exercise their constitutional freedom to practice religion as individuals without formal membership in religious organizations."

I think something similar is printed on the adult application.