committee policy

My committee wants to come up with a written policy that will explain how and why we run our meetings the way we do. Does BSA a a guideline for this or does someone have a example? Some of our committee members think that we need a written policy so they know what they are getting themselves into before signing up. Example: If a committee member can't be at a meeting then we will still vote on upcoming activites so things aren't delayed. That person can't vote if they aren't at the meeting. Any help would be great. Thanks

Pack330

I almost started to respond as if you were talking about a troop committee, then I read it again and realized you were talking about a pack committee. There is a big difference. I still don't think you really need to vote on anything. If you brainstorm and come up with ideas, then discuss them until everyone comes to an agreement, you may find the meetings are not so formal and ideas will flow. I guess when people hear the word committee, they assume its some kind of legislative body handing down laws.

Doug

ASM,

I am curious why you feel a Pack committee and a Troop committee are such different entities. I'm involved in both a Troop (as SM, wife Advancement Chair) and Pack (Webelos den leader, wife CC). I guess I'm a little sensitive but I've witnessed that many involved at the Boy Scout level have somewhat of a superior attitude concerning Cub Scouts. The programs are very much different but I would not label one as better or worse.

I've seen Bob White's opinion on committee voting, i.e. not needed, and partially agree. However, I don't see the Pack and Troop committee functions as much different from each other. They may handle different things but both exist to help support the programs. It is my experience that a Pack committee works with a much bigger budget by the way.

Pack committees are more directly involved in program planning than troop committees. In the troop you have the Patrol Leaders Council making the plan and the role of the committee is to support the decision of the boys not to make the decisions for them as in Cub Scouts.

BW

It depends on your volunteer role as to what you are getting yourself into when you sign up.

If someone is not at a meeting, they need to make sure another person represents their interests. Most of the time you will not have 100% of the committee there, if it is like most groups I've seen.

I also agree that very little must be voted on. If I can't attend a meeting that I know an important issue will be discussed, I talk to another leader before the meeting and after the meeting.

acco40

Sorry. Sometimes I don't come through real clear. I think Bob stated what I meant about the difference in the Cub and Boy Scout Committees. The big difference is in program planning and who is responsible. Otherwise, both are the same. To provide support.

Pack330

The best answers for you will be provided in Fast Start, Essentials, and Pack Committee Training.

Doug

Thanks everyone for the advice. The one thing that I didn't say was that we have a group of committee members who feel the need to take a formal "vote". We are a new pack and are still figuring out how we want to work things. What I have had happen so far is that if the committee member can't be there, they write a note or tell someone else how they feel about a subject they know we will be talking about. I will look up the information in the Pack Committee Training. Thanks.

Definitely get the committee trained, and make sure each has a copy of the guidebook. I'm assuming that Cubs has a similar book to the troops'. CubsRgr8's suggestion is a good one. During the training, ask if voting is generally a good method for conducting Pack business, and about proxy opinions and proxy votes. That way the whole group will hear the answer. In my recent troop committee training session, the facilitator specifically mentioned that proxy votes and opinions should not be allowed. If an issue matters that much to a committee member, that member ought to make it to the meeting. Otherwise, absence is absence: no presence, no voice and no vote.