If I remember correctly, next Monday is President's Day, which mainly celebrates the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. Although Lincoln is best know for freeing the slaves and leading our nation through the Civil War and Washington is known as the Father of our Country, there is something else that impresses me the most about them.

Both men had the incredible character and vision to stand fast to the American principles they have come to represent. Both men had the opportunity to seize power and basically make themselves dictators of our country. Lincoln was strongly urged by his aides to cancel the presidential election in 1864. With the Civil War going on, he could have very well done so and not have faced much (if any) public outcry. However, he knew that he would be setting a terrible precedent and going against the very Constitutional principles by which he had sworn to defend when he was inaugarated. At least Lincoln had some kind of precedent by which to judge his actions.

Washington's vision was even more incredible. In 1783, he was urged to use his position as commander of the army and make himself the King of the United States. It would have been a very popular move. Up to that point, all history knew was leaders toppling other leaders and making themselves King, claiming they were ordained by God to do so. Instead, he left the Army to retire to Mount Vernon. By walking away from that power, he did more for the country than anyone seizing power could have. Also, in 1789, as the country was struggling to get going, he came out of retirement and reluctantly became the president. He didn't take the office for money or power or prestige. He took the office to serve others and make our country a better place.

Let us not forget the noble service these men gave to our country. For a time, I ask you to please put aside your political differences and remember how these men didn't lead for themselves, but for the service of their fellow man, no matter what their political beliefs or religion.

Executive Mansion,

Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS

ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this

continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the

proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in

a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so

conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great

battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of

that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their

lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and

proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense, we cannot

dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground.

The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated

it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will

little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never

forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be

dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here

have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here

dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these

honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which

they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly

resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this

nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that

government of the people, by the people, for the people shall

not perish from the earth.

LETTER TO HORACE GREELEY

President Abraham Lincoln

Executive Mansion

Washington, August 22, 1862

Hon. Horace Greeley:

Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the union. I would save it in the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forebear, I forebear because I do not believe it would save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free.

Yours, A. Lincoln.