Scoutmaster Emeritus

Does anyone know of where I might locate patches/certificates etc for the installation of a Scoutmaster to Emeritus status? Is this positon unofficial to BSA or one that has been created by us rank and file guys? As you might guess our scoutmaster of 35 years has stepped down and we need to redefine his role as the new scoutmaster takes over.

Also has anyone a ceremony or oath for the swearing in of a Scoutmaster?

As you must know this is a critical time for a very active troop. Any thoughts or $.02es are welcome. I posted this in the patch topic but thought I could get more traffic here. Thanks.

Hi David:

The patch you seek is a field design...it is not recognized or stocked by national supply. If you know of a person in your circle of freinds who has an embroidery machine, they can sew "Emeritus" on a current SM patch.

You should do what you can to recognize your outgoing SM. Try looking on ebay for the mylar SM badge. These were issued in the late ninteen seventies to "Trained" Scoutmasters. They sell for around 5 bucks usually.

There is no official swearing in ceremony of the SM, but it would be nice to have a change of office ceremony at a court of honor. You can have the outgoing SM present the troop flag to the new SM. If you can get the boys to do the ceremony, this is best, but if you have to, you can have the CC, your commissioner, or executive be the master of ceremonies.

Have the two SMs stand at the place of honor, and have the Senior Patrol Leader or ASPL bring the troop flag to the outgoing SM. The outgoing SM then hands the flag to the new SM. Have the oSM step back, and the MC step forward. Have the nSM hold the troop flag, raise his right hand in the Scout Sign, and repeat the Scout oath, or write an oath that seems fitting, somthing like;

"I, (say your name), promise to uphold the ideals of Scouting by living the Oath and the Law, support the three aims of Scouting by using the eight methods of Scouting. I will Do My Best to perform the duties of a Scoutmaster, So help me God." or something similar.

Then the nSM hands the Troop flag to the SPL, who returns it to its stand.

I would strongly suggest that the oSM miss the meetings for the next six months or so, so that the boys are not confused as to who they see as the leader. Especially after a 35-year tenure, it will be difficult for everyone to recognize that the nSM is the SM.

Keep on Scoutin' ora

our scoutmaster "retired" - to start a Venture crew with our charter org!

but - he still left his SM position and he had done a great job for the boys - so we had a swearing in for the acting SM - and a few weeks later at a Court of Honor, (after his special order gift had come in) we honored our old SM by presenting him with a custom engraved canoe paddle from all the boys. As he is an avid canoist - and taught all our boys, this was an especially touching tribute to him.

our temp (Interim? acting?) SM is now going out and we have a new permanent SM - who will be sworn in when we re-charter in Jan. We will come up with some kind of ceremony for both men who give so much to the boys.