Bad training leads to bad trainers

When I took BALOO, we had a trainer who discussed the various kinds of Cub Scout Pack camping, but didn't have a clear idea of what they were talking about, creating confusion among those in the audience.

I and a couple of other people cross examined the trainer in detail to try to understand the rules. This made things very tough for the trainer, who was eventually bailed out by a clear explanation from the District Training Chair.

After I thought about that for a few days, I was sorry for being that tough on the trainer. They may never have returned to to help out in the future over a bad experience like that.

It's easy enough to be wrong, or confused about details of policies. I hope if I get caught out like that I remember to say, "I don't know, but I'll check on that and get back to you."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... if you took geocaching in you IOLS course, someone at your course chose to change the syllabus, and teach what they wanted to teach. There is only good old fashioned orienteering taught in both IOLS & OWLS..

The course was called SM basic at the time, and the orienteering chapter was garden variety map and compass. Geocaching was mentioned in passing. As was a comment on the two correct forms of the taught line (... if the knot holds when the line is taught ...). It's the little things, donchya know?