University of Scouting - Cub Scout Crafts

I am teaching this class for the first time this weekend.

What would you want to learn in the class?

If you've taught a similar class please share your experience with me. I want to do a good job and help as best I can.

Thanks

Here is a good one for Tiger Teams -

Achievement 5D - Make a leaf rubbing

Cut sheets of printer paper into 3" squares.

Use these for making rubbings of smallish leaves.

Have Tiger Teams cover squares with clear packing tape. If they want, they can then cut out leaf shape, or just leave it as is.

Make slide backs using pipe cleaners (nice and lightweight). Once or twice around a finger with a bit left over on each end.

Attach slide backs to back of rubbings with clear packing tape.

Make sure boys put their first name on the back before covering it with tape.

Best done in the Fall for the Scouts very first necker slide!

Make sure that you do all crafts beforehand, and have a sample made for your class to see the finished product.

There are tons and tons of good craft ideas out there. I think the more important thing is how you teach them. There's nothing worse that sitting in class with a bunch of adults watching Elmer's Glue dry.

At National Camp School (CSDC) there is a session on crafts (although it's not one I've personally taught), but it's more about planning, resources and how it fit crafts into the day camp program.

To give our participants craft ideas, we have a craft table with sample crafts prepared by each staff member. For each craft we'll have a finished product on display and enough kits for every particiant to have a sample of every craft. The kits have all the materials for the kit (the same stuff you would give the kids) and a detailed instruction sheet.

This way the participants get great ideas, get to see the finished craft and have all the information and material the need to use the craft with their boys -- all without having to sit and watch glue dry.

From your standpoint as an instructor, it puts all the work (and in some cases some expense) into the preparation. If you have a typical 50 minute class time, instead of letting folks pick the crafts up off a table, you may want to fill the class time by showing the finished sample and distributing the kits. If you can contact your students before the class, ask them to bring a sample of a craft they've used. Sharing ideas and group discussions are always better than lectures.

Yes, it's a 50 minute presentation.

I was planning on having 3 or 4 kits ready to go for the class. I was going to add to that links to other sites with craft ideas. I have to come up with all the supplies so I'm limited on how much I can provide. Not to mention it's this Saturday so I'm limited on time. I think I'm going to use the leaf rubbing slide, air rockets, sweet-gum mouse, and a macrame bracelet/key chain. I will bring other examples I have with me.

I don't know who's attending so I can't email them. I do want everyone to share their craft ideas. I want to touch on safety, planning, accomplishing requirements and how to use stations and parents effectively to keep things moving along.

Thanks for the advice. I did do the leaf rubbing craft as a hands on activity and setup every craft I had for demos. I had way more material than I could get through so I sent them home with a few kits they could do on their own. I tried to show a progression of crafts that were easiest (for tigers) up to difficult (for webelos).

It's funny how easy we forget things!

I am te father of a Webelos scout who is about to cross over to a troop.

I am also the CubMaster of our pack.

So during den meeting nights, I have a lot of free time. I walk from den to den to see if they need anything or if I can be of assistance>>

One night, I see the Tiger Cubs making puppets out of brown paper sandwich bags and decorating them with wiggly eyes, yarn for hair and drawing lips, noses, ears, etc...on the puppets.

I so would have looked at it as too young an activity....but the Tigers were loving it>

I guess what I am getting at is that even as things get stale, old or just to "been there - done that"...to somebody else...it is a brand new fresh idea!

Tiger Elective #21 - Make a puppet

All kinds of ways to make puppets. The Tigers have fun and let their creative juices flow! For those that are not so creative there are fun puppet templates online. Simply print, and copy, a bunch of different ones. The boys color them in, cut them out, and paste them on.

Get the Cub Scout How-To Book.

Crafts are great but make sure to remind folks lots of boys do not like crafts nearly as much as adults (especially scrap-booky moms) like to teach them. Kids get crafts at school, camp, sunday school, etc. I think it appeals to adults because:

1-There is a cute finished product to show parents.

2-Since there is a product you haven't "wasted" time.

3-The boys sit and work on something (in theory)

So don't use crafts instead of playing games. Do both.

Boys like crafts if it is really going to be useful. An actual gift for mom OK. Something for fundraising, maybe. Something they can shoot, play with, or destroy even better. Therefore:

Popsicle stick picture frame for mom= OK

Popsicle stick Christmas decorations for Ronald McDonald House=maybe

Popsicle stick working catapult-great!

When I became a new Cub Leader, what I was looking for in theses courses were hands-on examples since I'm not very creative and art-challenged. Most important, I needed a list of resources that I can pull from for ideas long after the course is over.