Regional Membership Training Conference

From time to time I visit the websites of neighboring councils to see what they are doing that might be interesting or things in which I might be interested in taking part.

That paid off a couple of days ago when I saw that the next door council was hosting regional membership training with an emphasis on recruiting more Scouts from minority groups.

Well. That sounded idea to me! I'm starting my 8th year as a district membership chair, and I've been beugging my council for ideas on how primarily English speaking Cub Packs can impriove recruiting of Hispanic/Latino families. The program is at:

http://www.pacificharbors.org/council/Mulitcultural%20Markets-Nov%2018%202011%20Flier.pdf

So I sent in a request to register.

Today I got a call from the council Director of Field Services discouraging me from participating. Apparently the council has to aopprove those attending and get e-mails from any person in the council who asks to register.

He started out be selling me on the idea that I wouldn't be interested in the content of the program, and suggesting that in coming months the council would be sponorsing a program I would be more interested in.

I responded by saying that I was interested in being more involved in council level membership issues, and that I had the time available to take in this meeting (this Friday).

He then said the council was only sending two people to attend the conference, and implying that if I went one of those people couldn't attend. While that seems somewhat doubtful, that was a good card to play, and I allowed myself to be discouraged from attending.

I'm not too happy with that. I've been e-mailing council officials from time to time over the Hispanic Scouting recruiting issue for a year now. The comments from this Firld Director indicate he is informed on this issue, but it's just not a priority for him at this time.

I'm interested in doing more at the council level, but trying to muscle my way in is unlikely to be the Boy Scout way.

Too bad. I would have been very interested in attending, and I would have paid my own registration fee.

Hello Shortridge and Eagle 92,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. As soon as a read them I sent off e-mails to the Field Director and the VP-Membership who is my volunteer boss in the council, offering to pay the cost and renewing my request to attend.

Of course I was planning to pay my way anyway --- the registration cost is only $10.

We'll see what happens. As a retiree I don't have anything else planned for Friday anyway.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion! I was just going to feel sorry for myself.

I'm still confused - was the FD saying that there were only two slots allocated to the council, or that the council would only be paying for two slots? If the former, then I can understand his concern. But either way, it seems silly to knock people out who want to go learn stuff.

As an alternative, entirely non-fact-based hypothesis ... you say you've been emailing council officials for the last year about these issues. Is it possible that you've worn out your welcome and they see you as a gadfly on the issue, or that they disagree with what you're saying? Just a possibility to consider.

Hello Shortridge,

Well, I got a nice enough e-mail back from the Membership VP who is my boss as a volunteer. She is attending the conference and said she plans to report back to district chairs --- but offered no encouragement to my attending.

So I guess I'm out.

While raising the issue of improving the recruiting and retention of Hispanic/Latino families, I've aimed at avoiding being a gadfly or nuisance.

I've simply raised the issue when it was worth thinking about. For example, this past summer we recruited a new District Executive, and I e-mailed the VP-Membership and Field Director suggesting that this was an opportunity to recruit someone with a Latino background or the language skills and cultural familiarity to help our district improve in that area.

Didn't get someone with that background though. I think it was worth raising the issue.

Finding this conference on my own and then aiming to attend---is that being a gadfly? Not in my book.

But if a gadfly is someone who doesn't just sit still and take what they are spoon fed, then I'm a gadfly.

The Field Director didn't say the council was limited to two slots. He said the council was sending only two people. The conference announcement doesn't suggest a rigid limit on the number of people attending. Could be, I suppose.

I'd be surprised though if a council that wanted to send an additional volunteer couldn't do so if they wished.(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

Contact the Regional people directly. I've ridden this Merry-go-round before. What the Council people are saying is probably translated "We don't think you can go." When you go up a level, you'll likely hear "Sure! come on up! We'd like to get the perspective of District level folks." When you get there, though, don't throw your Council under the bus. Not "I've been pestering my Council for years." (This might be what your Council is fearing,) but "This is a long standing interest of mine..."

Hello Jay,

I used the e-mail on the conference website to register for the conference, and that request was referred to the council which apparently had to approve who went.

Despite renewing my request, I was turned down by both the council VP-Membership and the council Field Director, who work together quite a bit. So I didn't go.

Well, I did my best. Life has it's disappointments.

Having taken a very quick look at what's being covered at the conference, I think that it is a bit above what a District Membership Chair. Might need.

Kinda like sending a First Aider to a conference on heart surgery.

Many times a host Council will limit how may people from outside can attend just so that no one Council over-whelms the discussion.

If I was tasked with sending just two people I think I'd opt to send the Pro. Who oversees the Membership Committee and the Council Vice-President for Membership.

Ea.