NCS certification cost various by location. I know the CSDC cert, now good for 5 years, was approx. $400, and they sent 4 or 5 of us to that one, and 2 others to a different one that may have been more or less expensive. And while I plan on being at CSDC for the next 8 years, I know I got looks of shock when I mentioned that I will not be PD in 2012. So the council will have to send someone for my district either this year or next.

Now they want to send another person to NCS to get BSA Aquatics Director cert as we need that to use the rowboats at the council family campout. That one aint cheep as it's a week long course.

Again there are a lot of expenses that folks don't realize.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

acco - (i.e. we cover all expenses including full cost of utilizing council porperty for the weekend) but we don't try to make a profit.

Our council camps charge nothing for us to use them for training purposes..What is your council charging you?.. I know if a troop goes to a council camp (own trek, not for summer camp).. It is $3 a head per night.. Is it a simple cost like that or steeper?

I think there's a difference between hidden expenditures and flat-out profit from a training. Eventually, every penny will come down the pipeline from some donation, occasionally our own, so it's beneficial to ensure the money is going for what it is intended.

Should training cover its own expenses? Of course.

Should mandatory training be a council profit center? Not in my book. It's mandatory, and the training and better program should reflect upon more funds brought in rather than asking more of your volunteers who already give so much.

That contingency fund should be used to the full extent and benefit of the participants. The overhead costs in my council go to cover all council resources.

All that being said, getting whatever gifts-in-kind or project sales accomplished on behalf of your budget is always a good thing! The more free stuff we can get, the better off we all are. I've secured almost $300 in free food for a training coming up this year. It will all be recorded as free, too, but the money taken in from the participants will then be added to the contingency fund and more quality will be built into the program, not more money for the council.

Well I just found out I mis-spoke.. I was told by the Lead Ranger of the Camps it was free.. I just booked to find that there is a $1 per head fee and a fee for buildings.. I was looking for 2 cabins for the staff but at $30 per building we may forgo that rather then charge the participants for our cushy comfort.. I haven't gotten the price of the building I want for "in-case of rain"..

Event profit is one of those "dirty little secrets" that most people don't realize. I have no problem with it most of the time. The one issue that kind of rankled some folks was the council making a profit off of Jamboree as there was very little involvement by professionals. But that is also true of most events. I went to both the 2005 and 2010 Jambo. The 2005 Jambo was $1900. The 2010 Jambo was $3000. We finally filled our three troops, but it wasn't easy at that price. When people found out that part of what they were paying was a % to the council for profit, it didn't sit too well. The up side, we came in under budget and everyone got around a $200 refund. I suppose the council could have claimed the windfall without anyone really knowing.

acco - (i.e. we cover all expenses including full cost of utilizing council porperty for the weekend) but we don't try to make a profit.

Our council camps charge nothing for us to use them for training purposes..What is your council charging you?.. I know if a troop goes to a council camp (own trek, not for summer camp).. It is $3 a head per night.. Is it a simple cost like that or steeper?

That's one of my pet peeves. Our council charges the same for us as anyone else. We have a few shelters - a few picnic benches on a concrete slab with a tin roof that cost anywhere from $200 to $400 per weekend. We use them to lay out material for knots, nature, first aid, etc. Also, they come in handy for rain. Heaven forbid we decide to use an actual cabin - that costs something like $500/day. The $2 to $3 per head camping fee isn't the issue.

We also have the staff bring a few troop trailers so we have cooking supplies, etc.

My council also charges training and district events the full rental fees for the use of camp buildings and facilities. We have cabins that have toilets and showers that go for $600-$700 a weekend (they sleep 60). A simple cabin, a well head outside and a laterine rents for $11 a bed per weekend, but the hitch is you have to pay for all the beds not just the ones used. We also have a 45 day cancelation policy. If your course/activity isn't filled to a certain level 45 days out you're cancelled.

My WB class had to pay for dining hall rental, field rentals, cabin and campsite rentals (one weekend of each), staff quarter rentals, pavillion useage, propane and energy surcharge, contingency fees of 25%, copying services, food costs from the dining hall for the first weekend at usual rates (about $25/weekend/person). All said and done course cost participants $265. And the council wonders why we can fill a WB twice a year.

I know councils can't give a way paper, toner, propane, staff members time but there has to be a better way. A few years ago Girl Guides of Canada and Scouts Canada raised their membership fees from $40/year to $140/year, a huge jump, but all their trainings and district events got substanially cheaper. The explanation was they were now covering "expenses" with membership fees and didn't need to make up the difference on events. End result more kids at events (in my area anyway - I live in a border area and take my kids abroad regularly), and an installment payment plan for memebership fees.

I guess I shouldn't complain at $1 a head & $30 per staff cabin.. Still waiting for what the cost of the boat house is for 2 days..

It is just that this fall I have booked a local fish & game place with a club house & camping area and I got it for free.. This Spring IOLS snuck up on me, so I don't have much leeway to look around, but if the council costs, I will try to use the Fish & game place more often.

Still I think I will email our Council Training Chair & double check.. It can't hurt. I don't want to go back to the lady who books the camps sounding like I am entitled, but again I don't want to pay for it due to a misunderstanding and she did not catch this was for council training.

Your right the view is not the emphisis, but looks like it would be wonderful.. That must be a building for meeting or trainings, it looks too good (and big) for a sleeping cabin.

That would be a great deal at $100.. my little $30 cabins are little huts for sleeping with bunks crammed in for maybe 8 to 10..

Still waiting for the price of the place I need for the meeting..