University of Scouting--"Back to Basics"

We offer both Fall and Spring semesters of the University of Scouting. 700-1000 leaders attend each semester. There are "colleges" for Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Venturing, Sea Scouting, General Studies, Doctoral Studies, District Operations and one semester, the College of Commissioner Science. The fall semester will offer more than 150 courses.

http://training.nsbsa.org/uploadedFiles/file/UofS/Fall%202010%20final.pdf

They tell us it is the largest one day training event held by any council in the country

John-in-KC -- Your numbers scare me. We are expecting most people to take YPT on-line. At RT this comming month though we are offering YPT just before registration. I figured it a nice jesture to offer it to the computer challenged, but I am picturing my YPT trainer sitting in an empty room.

I figure even the computer challenged will either have someone from their unit come with a wifi hookup and get them on-line and trained up. I am making about 20-25 copies of the YPT test for the course. I plan to take home 20-25 copies.

I had better not have 300 people wander in. After having a cardiac arrest. I will pummel them all for not having taken it on-line.

I would love to keep interest in the Specifics even after being on-line. But, I do think the YPT is fine to take on-line, especially when you have to retake it every 2 years.

Still I am glad our UoS is in the Spring, so they can't do that to us.. Now I don't feel so bad about running the same courses as we did 2 years back at our UoS this comming year. At least it is better then doing the everyday training.

Moose,

Those are not our new Scouter numbers. At RT, I train MB counselors. My average load is 12, my high has been 20, and my low was 8.

This is Scouting runs higher in the fall ...up to 20.

YP is all over the map...

Our belief is real simple: One stop support for the unit serving Scouter. He/she does not have to go/send people to 3-4 different meetings to get things done; they come to ONE.

Consistency. It helps.

I understand the training during RT. But, this Nov. is the only time we are doing it. We are doing a training in Internet Rechartering & Advancement. We are doing another in YP.

I had been stating that at each District Committee meeting. But I guess our District Commish didn't put two & two together. When I emailed to remind him I needed 2 rooms, he laid into me about doing my trainings at RT.. He stated "Roundtable is a Commissioner event that is a meeting of Unit people to learn new and old ways to enhance the Scouting Spirit with program offerings that are meant to stimulate ideas that can be used by those leaders back in their Units."

I told him the Internet training is run annually at RT just before rechartering, and that the YP I expected no one to show. But it is just to make the offer in good faith.

The guy who used to be our Distict Chair is the one doing the Internet training. He says the RT is definately for training and technically falls under my domain as District Training Chair.. I prefer to tiptoe around that though because I definately am not prepared to tick off the DC and have RT fall into my lap with no one running it. I still haven't mastered the rest of my job.

So we will go light on doing Basic training at RT from now on.

Our council program is similar to infoscouter's, except that ours is only once a year. From our course catalog it looks like the council offers perhaps slightly more classes but has a few less attendees. It's a huge event to put on. It looked like around 198 instructor/classroom combinations.

I agree with what the district commissioner said. Roundtable is to share ideas about things that will enhance the unit's program. Running a training event at RT has two detrimental effects: 1- Folks that would participate in the RT topics skip that and go to the training instead. 2- folks stay home if they know there is training that they've already done or are not interested in. Training events need their own time and place.

Certainly though, there can be a training ELEMENT at RT, tailored to the specific program breakout sessions, but not to the exclusion of the primary RT purpose.

Moose... Round Table does not fall under any District Committee function at all.

RT falls under the "Commissioner Staff" and is planned and run by the "Round Table Commissioner."

Anything that happens at RT should be approved by the RT Commissioner, and in the event there is no RT Commissioner, the District Commissioner has the authority.