I'm still waiting to schedule mine. Might have to give my TG and SPL a call to get the wheels back in motion. I haven't pushed too hard,yet! My TG just finished up another WB course last week and SPL was playing District pattycake at Jambo, so I'll cut them some slack :) I originally was going to schedule mine at our troop COH, but was told by our CC that we had already done 2 beadings at the last 2 COH's (His was one of those)and we didn't need to do anymore. I was a little upset about that until I heard that one of our freshly minted Eagle's wanted to have his ECOH with the Troop COH, No Problem there. I will gladly step aside for any young man who wants to celebrate his achievement of Eagle with the rest of the Troop. My decision became pretty easy, I'm going to try and have my beading at our first Pack Meeting. We'll have all the adults there, plus the new parents, hopefully my beading will recruit some parents to step up to the leadership plate!!

Always a Beaver

"If you don't have a beaver leading, the rest of the critters just wander around aimlessly"

OwntheNight - congradulations for having the adult leaders of your troop so well trained that you have the problem of too many beadings! Even if all your leaders don't take Woodbadge, it means your unit has set the standard that training is important, so I am sure most if not all get their basic training completed.

moosetracker- Thank you! Our troop actually does require any adult who wants to become an ASM to commit to taking WoodBadge within 1 year of their appointment. It is nice to know we're all playing from the same book instead of a mixup of opinions and fables , and that we are all committed to giving the boys the best program available.

Have to agree there, having everyone WB'd means everyone on the same page. And from my experience that means a lot towards the success of the troop being boy lead.

Strange that I'm still getting the jib from this forum that so many who haven't taken WB and don't want too make such a big deal out of it. I liked the course, and think it a great way for a leader to go. One can always lead something new. I spent 10 years leading soldiers in the Army, and the past 15 training and leading people in business, and I learned loads there.

Congrates on your beading.. I hope to have all of my tickets finished early next year. One of mine will take the longest, the other 4 will be finished by Christmas of this year..

Bob White

NE-II-193

• 2 weeks later...

One of my fellow Owls just got his beads a couple weeks ago. A couple months ago he was talking about not bothering to complete the ticket, that the beads didn't mean anything to him, that he got the training and that was what is important.

I asked him if he would accept that sort of rational from a Life Scout who was frustrated and sick of working toward Eagle. Of course he wouldn't.

At the beading ceremony, he said he still didn't think receiving the beads was important. I told him it was sort of like a funeral; it may not be important to him, but it is important to his friends and family and all those who helped and supported his efforts.

Sometimes it's not always about "us."

I didn't go through a graduation ceremony when I earned my BS degree. I did go through a graduation ceremony when I earned my MS degree. Being older and wiser, I realized that the ceremony meant a lot to my mother (who would never verbalize it, just always counsel me to do what I thought was best).

I don't remember much of it but do remember the greatest feeling a person can have - knowing one's parent was proud of what you had accomplished.

If you don't care about a beading ceremony ask yourself if anyone else may. If the answer is no, then no ceremony. If the answer is yes, you have a decision to make.(This message has been edited by acco40)