BSA - Youth Protection Training at MyScouting

I'm sure everyone is aware of the Youth Protection Training requirements for Adults that became effective on June 1. I'm sure most of you are also aware of the MyScouting site where the online training is available and where registered Scouters can validate training.

I'm starting this thread for Scouters to list glitches they have noticed in the database system, in the hopes that the BSA can fix before the Rechartering starts and packages are rejected for Scouters not having their training.

1. If you use the Search function in the Training Validation, and input the BSA ID, it will only show that person if he has linked his ID to his username in MyScouting. Suggestion: Automatically link BSA ID numbers to Scouters in the system.

2. At the district level, they were able to search the database by name, and produced a list of the Scouters that had not taken the training. If the input was made using the "official" name in the records (ie. Michael) and the user registered his MyScouting account as Mike, the system would not match the two. Suggestion: In addition to name search, Districts should also do a BSA ID search. Also, make the Validation Search available with * searches etc. where you can input part of the name or first initial.

3. An additional issue in regards to 2 above, is that if there are two Scouters (one Senior and one Junior) with the same name, a search by name would reveal that the training had been accomplished even if only one of the Scouters had completed it. Suggestion: Again, the match with the BSA ID is key.

4. In the Training Validation search, if you do an advanced search and input the first and last name, Scouters who have linked their BSA ID would have two records in the system and therefore, the system would ask you to narrow the search down since more than one record was found. Of course, you cannot narrow it down because it's the same person. Suggestion: Fix the duplication....or give the user a choice of all the persons that fit the criteria and let the user pick which one is the one he is searching for.

5. In the Training Validation search, the City and State fields in the advanced search appear to not be populated and if you search using these fields, the system doesn't find any records. Suggestion: Populate the database with the additional fields.

Let's keep this going....perhaps we could gather a list and submit to national to fix before the crush of the Rechartering comes and packages are rejected.

Once upon a time,it came to pass that my registration was denied. Upon some research by people at Council who knew ME, we discovered that thru the years I had been recorded under three variations on my name (during training sessions) with three different BSA numbers (one for CM, one for ASM, and one for UC) AND there were three other men, registered Scouters in different Districts, with the same first and last name! One with the SAME middle initial, two with different middle initials.

When I discovered this, I had to jump thru some bureacratic hoops to have it corrected. So far, all my online training is recorded under one name and BSAnumber.

I have posted some of these before, but others are new.

1) I put in one gentlemans Membership ID and got that more then one person had it.

a) they really issued the ID to 2 people.

b) someone else out their in internet land created his account and typed in the wrong ID # (The ID that belongs to this man). You can pull him by name/city/state.

2) I put in the Membership ID and get someone. Put them in my name/city/state and I get no one found, even though the name matches that of what shows when pulling the membership ID. I just put in name (maybe he moved?).. I still get no one found.

3) Displaying the ID with the records would be nice. Case in point. A young man was showing up as not taking any training, although I know he took it on-line in my living room. So I looked him up by ID # (sure enough.. No training.) So I looked him up by name/city/state. Up he pops with the right name, and all his training. My guess is he entered the wrong ID# and so it is not recording right in order to give him credit. Can't verify that as the member ID will not display with the records pulled by Name/city/state. I atried to have the young man get me in to see his Id, but he could not get in.. checked username and reset password multi times and just would not let him back in. Because if it is he entered the # wrong, he could delete it and reenter it correctly, and get credit for these courses.

Evry -- What was meant by

Scouters who have linked their BSA ID would have two records in the system and therefore, the system would ask you to narrow the search down since more than one record was found.

My family all has their membership # entered into myBSA, and since they were guinea pigs for me, I tested them every which way.. They pulled right anyway I tried.

I was hoping to use this tool for people to test out if their member ID was assigned only to them, and they entered the correct member ID.. You make it sound glitchhy even if the peoples ID # aren't screwed up to start with.

Moosetracker....by that, I meant that if you just put the first and last name of the person without putting in the BSA ID, there will be multiple listings.

An example: My wife (very unique name that is impossible to be duplicative) registered and took the Youth Protection Training. Afterwards, when she got her BSA ID, I went in and linked her user account with the BSA ID. If I validate the training using the BSA ID, she comes up as having completed the training. If I search using her first and last name, the system tells me that there are multiple listings. there is no way that anyone would have the same name as my wife and therfore, I assume that by inputing the BSA ID at a later date, the system created two separate entries.....one with the ID and one without.

Maybe others can verify this?

Another possibility regarding the multiple entries found is that a person registered as a user, and then they forgot that they had registered and then registered again. Now the system would have two separate entries for the same person.

this could be fixed by not allowing a second registration for someone that has the same identical fields in the system.

Here's a related question. I called our council to see what could get done to get this Leader back into his account, without creating a new one and loosing the courses taken with the wrong number. They said I needed to contact National MyBSA. But I looked all over the site, couldn't find a "contact us" for this. Put contact us in the search and came up with dozens if I want to donate or volunteer or whatnot..

Does anyone know how to contact them with issues?