Two questions about adult leader training

1) Assume a committee member has taken Youth Protection, Fast Start, Troop Committee Challenge, This is Scouting and Basic Outdoors training. Are they allowed to wear the "trained" emblem or is that limited to SM/ASM because their training is designated "Leader Specific"

2) Speaking of that, am I missing something or is SM/ASM training rarely offered? There was one this year in my district that I had to miss and the next one is in 3 months in a neighboring district. It's not online so that's not an option. The problem is now you have to have that training before taking the leadership position.

1) Yes, I think that person is trained. The trained strip is not limited to the SM/ASM side of things.

2) This differs from place to place. The new training requirements will almost certainly require that the training be offered more frequently, but it will probably take a while to work out all the bugs from the system, especially if your district doesn't have a strong training program to start with. (In the meantime, if you're near other councils, you could always see whether they offer this training on other days that are better matches for your schedule. Nothing requires you to stay in council.)

1) In our council, trained strips only go to things like leader specific or classroom training that specifically applies to your position or duties within your position.

For example: BALOO training gets you a BALOO patch and a wallet card signed by the DE saying you took the class, but not a "Trained" patch.

Sm, CM, DL or ADL specific will get you a "trained" wallet card to get your trained strip.

YP, Fast Start, or any other training that happens to also be offered online will not get you a patch.

That is - in My council.

Now having said that, I went into our scout shop and bought my trained strip without having to show my DE signed "trained" cards ( which I had in my pocket).

But I will also say this: Grab two people from every pack/troop in every district in my council, and ask them all the same question...You'll probably get 12 different answers! LOL! :)

So I cannot say that it is indeed a council rule in my council, or people just savinga peny or two. Maybe just a miscommunication.

But let me add my personal opinion to the first question you have:

I have seen people take a 20 minute online coarse and come away from it with a wealth of new insight and knowledge. It changed the way they thought about, and talked about and planned scout outings and get togethers.

I have also seen people take classroom training, write all the "right" answers down, to only sneer about the class the next day and continue doing things wrong( the way they used to) because : " I know better and it's always worked before!"

Kinda like a drivers license: Lots of people take the class, pass the written and driving exam, them come close to killing you and I every time they pull onto the road.

A Troop Committee member is required to complete:

- This is Scouting

- Youth Protection

- Troop Committee Challenge

To be considered fully "trained" and eligible to wear the trained patch. There is a nice chart on page 7 of the Spring/Summer "The Commissioner" newsletter - http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/522-975_Spring_summer2010.pdf

Boy Scout Leader Specific Training and IOLS is only required for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters in addition to:

- This is Scouting

- Youth Protection

- Scoutmaster Fast Start

Both this flow chart and a similar description in Scoutsource list Leader Specific (by position) as a basic training requirement.

Is there a position specific training for Committtee members? The online Troop Committee Challenge is listed as advanced or supplemental training.

"There *was* specific training for Troop Committee members, it was replaced by the on-line "Troop Committee Challenge."

Our district/council still conduct in person Troop Committee challenge courses. Granted, I don't think the syllabus is available for purchase any longer, but AFAIK it is still a valid course.

For Committee Youth-Protection, This-is-Scouting, and Troop Committee Challenge are what are Required Courses. The district has a trained & untrained list for the position you are in. You will fall onto the "untrained" list if you miss any 3.. Fast Start is suppose to be required, but it is not something checked on by the "untrained" list. If you are a Committee member you can wear the trained patch with this.

I have not seen it yet, but someone on this forum wrote that if you took Committee Challenge as a course (even when that was the only thing offered). And then you did something to change your unit or position, you will come up "untrained" for this because you did not take the web version. I guess I will find out as we start informing people of what they are untrained in, and find out from them that they think they took the course. They shouldn't they didn't even change the name, and it is still a boardgame type thingy. Did they change the course number?