Unit doing their own adult training

Ive seen that the BSA is encouraging every unit to have their own Trainer.

Our District has a few units already doing this.

Im all for units taking this on but since trying to update training records Ive run across a couple of issues and I see these are issues that will occur again as more units start doing this

T

he first is where the SM of a Troop did its own IOLS.

The SM did not issue any training cards and I dont think they submitted a training report either.

Since doing this training the SM was diagnosed with cancer and past away last year.

For any missing training on a persons ScoutNet record our new registrar is requiring a copy of their training card before they will enter it into the system.

With SMs and ASMs now requiring IOLS to be considered trained what do you do with/tell this group?

The second issue Ive come across where the unit trainer is not following the syllabus and does their own thing.

This unit trainer admitted to me that as he doesnt like the way BSA teaches it and he knows a better way (their exact words).

This was discussed at the last district meeting and actions on what to do are being considered.

If units are going to be encouraged to have their own trainer how do you have any type of quality control to avoid this type of situation and to avoid units who will just sign cards without actually doing the training?

The SM did not issue any training cards and I dont think they submitted a training report either.

-Probably because he did not have council permission

I'd explain there is a syllabus, and the trainer is expected to deliver the material, not make up your own... they need to retake the course (or to not punish the Scouters overtly have a "update" Saturday.

When I chair BALOO or the upcoming Webelos IOLS my staff advisor will drop by to visit/support/check up on me. If it's a unit training the Unit Commissioner is always welcome to "stop by".

There is your quality control, they should be the funnels for the "Trained Patches' or the "Course Completion Card" when they are handed the advancement report.

It is possible for every unit to have a trainer, but with mandatory "Train the trainer" coming in a few years, we've already started a process in my district. If you want to train, you have attend Trainer's EDGE. You must attend a mandatory district trainer's training on the jobs at hand, paperwork, etc...

And you've got to funnel all training records to the District Training Chair for submission.

With mandatory training coming, it's a shame some refuse to work with the team. In the end, his unit is going to suffer.

Our unit encourages all adults to complete all the required training for their position within the first year. That being said, we have at least 4-5 uniformed adults that teach wood badge and IOLS classes for the council.

As a result, adult leadership is often offering informal training to newly uniformed adults during campouts so they are able to come up to speed quickly. Just because the next offering of the required classes may not be for several months, there is no reason the scouts have to suffer with untrained adults. The informal training does not qualify towards satisfing any national, council, or district training offically but the sooner the adults get the information, the sooner they are following and presenting the program to the boys in a unified manner.

There was a friendly competition to see who completed the recently added weather training before other members of the troop. With online training so easily available, there is no reason for adults to be untrained.

My understanding was the trainer positions was more of a bookeekping and cheerleader position. Track the classes and encourage adults to take training.

Yah, I wouldn't confuse training with paperwork CNY. It's a good thing that the units are offering training, eh? In fact I reckon that all training should be offered as close to "on demand" as we can make it. Besides, it's more fun and you're more likely to get folks to sign up doin' it with other adults from the unit.

In terms of da paperwork, yeh do the best you can. How would yeh handle it if two boys said they earned a MB from the deceased fellow that never got filed? I expect most of us in that case would ask a few questions and then take the boys' word. Can't see why you'd do anything different for adults.

As to following da syllabus, I confess that I'm always a bit disappointed when a trainer adheres slavishly to / just reads the syllabus. If da training can be done in that kind of mindless way then it should just be done on-line. Computers are good at that sort of thing. Da benefit of a live trainer is that yeh get the personal interaction and experience of da trainer (and participants), and that always departs da syllabus.

Now of course if a fellow doesn't have enough experience to provide good personal insight, then yeh should never have approved him as trainer, eh? But if he does have enough wisdom and experience I can't imagine why you'd micromanage the man. That would only cost you a good trainer and make your work harder.

There are also a lot of good things to be said for adapting training to local conditions. Safety Afloat for da rivers of the west coast (which tend to be fast and cold) should be done a bit differently than SA for da great plains waterways. Same advantages for tailoring training to da program and needs of a unit.

Beavah

Agreed, why not take their word of honor, as a scouter, that they completed the training?

If units are conducting their own training, that's a strong signal. Council/district training cadres should take note--perhaps the training they provide needs a serious relook.