To take or not to take Wood Badge

That is the question. I was contacted last night by the person in charge of Wood Badge for our Council specifically requesting that I take this course. They had a couple of last minute drop outs and my name was on the list of a few people to fill in. My only issue is that my husband is also attending the course the same time and leaving the kids for two whole weekends. We have already had someone jump in and offer to keep our children for us. I am just worried about affecting the Wood Badge experience for both of us if we take it at the same time. Should I wait or should i go ahead and jump on board?

If someone has offered to keep your children for both weekends go and do it. It is not uncommon for two scouters in the same family to take Wood Badge at the same time/same course. Last year I was on the staff of a course where we 3 sets of husband and wife participants.

I know they both had a positive experience Wood Badge and now have shared memories. You should be in different patrols and as a result your experiences will be slightly different yet complement one another.

You will really enhance your family dynamic when your son(s) complete NYLT and all of you have a similar experience and common background.

Do it and enjoy it.

(This message has been edited by hotair36)(This message has been edited by hotair36)

You should be placed in two separate patrols, but you'll have the chance to develop meaningful relationships with a whole new group of people both as a couple and as individuals.

If you've got the child care worked out, I recommend you go. It's one of the best things I've ever done.

You'll learn a lot, but REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN (caps for emphasis). I'm currently in between my first and second weekends. I can tell you that I am having a blast. We had a patrol meeting last night to prepare for the second weekend, and even that was fun.