Wood Badge Public Relations Image

I attended a WB dinner for our council a week or so back and a non-scouter attended with me as my guest. The meal was excellent and while everyone was eating the council played a video of our most recent WB activities to inspire and excite those considering the program. On the ride home we talked about the evening and my guest commented on the video and made the off-the-cuff comment that it appeared to the uneducated eye that WB seemed to be nothing more than a Cub Scout Day Camp for adults. It might be a word to the wise to make sure that the substantive activities be emphasized as much if not more than the fun activities.

I value the program immensely and it kind of took me aback to hear this observation of the non-scouter. As I thought back over the video, I can see the validity of this person's observations.

Stosh

Stosh,

I haven't seen your council's video, but I have seen one similar. The video that I've seen, the council created video DVD which was designed from the origin to be an advertisement to Scouters. (parts of the video were modeled after the BSA WB21C promotional video (1999)). But this council created DVD mixed fun, with a little classroom, with WB testimonials (of local Scouters).

From your description Stosh, it appears your local council WB video demonstrates alot of fun.

I guess you can say I'm straddling the fence, on this topic.

I'd concur, the fun and laughter may get some Scouters to think about Wood Badge; but will it sell it? Will an adult Scouter pay 200-400 dollars and take a week of vacation, just for fun?

For myself... I'd consider the social networking and fun, it would get me to think about taking a week of vacation... But then I'd consider my checkbook, and ask "what else is in it for me"?

I've pitched WB21C at Roundtable, Scout Expos, and other Scouting events. In less than sixty seconds; I mention Ken Blanchard, Steven Covey, scouting games, and Disney movies with positive messages on leadership (who doesn't like a Disney movie and they always have happy endings). Out of 50-60 adults I'll pitch WB21C to, maybe I'll persuade one to truly consider the investment.

Your council's video was created for the Scouter (not for the non-Scouter), so your guest was not the actual intended audience. But maybe your guest can offer you and your council a little insight.

Without seeing or knowing all the details of your council's video, I'd offer this comment. Maybe your council can go back to the dark room/editing room, and add in some video of the class sessions, maybe comments about the equivalent of 1000 dollars single day seminar management sessions in NYC or LA, and some personal testimonials. Specifically how Wood Badge has directly aided their Pack, Troop or Crew programs. Maybe that will push an interested Scouter over the edge, towards committing to attend the next WB course.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv