What to Expect with BALOO Training

OMG Buffalo, that is hilarious....

I plan to start the BALOO course next month EXACTLY that way.

Hi, I'm Dr. BALOO. I'll be doing performing the operation on your frontal lobe today. And Dr. Akela will be assisting with the procedure. He is just an intern, but he had very high test scores in brain anatomy....")

I might add "he also stayed at a Holiday Inn and just saved $200 on his car insurance"(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Ok debriefing. I hope the rain and last minute planning of the event caused the 'challneges" I saw. Instructor was prepped for 11 folks and almost 30 showed up. Nothing done outside due to weather. Everyhting was a rehash of what I've been through already, except fo thte 'waterbottle" knot, and that may br alcoal add on. No foil cooking, college cafeteria for us.

Keep in mind, the training is aimed at a relatively new Cub Scout parent volunteer, or leader, with minimal camping experience. The goal is to give that new, inexperienced, volunteer, the tools, and the confidence to plan, and carry out a basic, entry level, Pack overnighter for other inexperienced families.

>>"Instructor was prepped for 11 folks and almost 30 showed up."

Wow, from what y'all are describing, I'd almost take BALOO over again.

All we did in a bit more than 4 hrs was:

1. How to fill out a tour permit

2. Some basic camping safety (like no accellents and no combustion of any source inside a tent).

3. How to make a hobo meal (foil cooking)

No practical camping skills. No Pack Camping tips.

Anybody else have a less than expected BALOO experience?

NC

Eagle92, I am sorry to hear that your program was not planned better. We are fortunate that we have a great facility to use here (and have for several years) in which we can have indoor grilling (large wood stove heater) and enough room to even set up tents if needed.

Changing the subject, I am curious about your water bottle knot. I "collect" knots (I have a 2" thick binder of knot pages--over 120 variations of the bowline), and dabble a little with some theory. Is this the same as the "jug knot" as shown here: http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/jugknot.html, or is it a different one. Inquiring minds want to know.

Um...ok, I agree "Camping light or Camping 101" should really describe the BALOO course but it appears your course loosely followed the main ideas of the syllabus but left some important stuff out.

Here is what is listed in the syllabus I use.

Local Council considerations

Aims

Purposes

Lunch Prep (foil lunch explanation, ingredients, prep charcoal, suggested cook times, etc), I usually add foil potatoes (bake potatoes), foil corn on the cob, etc..

Planning - how to setup the outing plan to include tour permits, where to go, local safety concerns, adult to cub ratios, etc.

Equipment - covering typical Cub Camping equipment - tents, sleeping bags, lanterns, backpacks (day packs), water bottles, individual 1st aid kits (band aids). May show model camp site & simple tent setup (depending on the group).

Campfire planning - (my favorite) What goes into a campfire plan that makes the outing memorable, and how to plan songs, skits that are fun and simple for the Cubs to do (repeat after me, repeat after me, repeat afte rme...), also include the idea the plan runs with the fire..start fire=warm up, high fire=hi energy, fading fire=thought provoking or opportunity for Cub Master Minute that leaves the cubs thinking.

Lunch - participants eat the foil lunch they prepared..... the Campfire Demo is put on then by the staff.

Campfire Demo - staff puts on the above campfire plan (I usually include 3 types of closing & sometimes a flag retirement - it's daylight so i ask the participants to pretend it's dark)

Health & Safety - guide to safe Scouting, & Insurance form, pack first aid kits/med. forms, what do do & who to call - usually a section for Q &A.

Program - explain whay cubs go on outing and why it's your oportunity to develop Scouting aims.

Round Robin (break out sessions with the group split up going to each station in rotation)

----Cub Scout cooking - I usually get boy Scouts to demo simple cooking by making desserts (dump cake, box oven cookies, and let participants sample)

----First Aid & Sanitation - I cover 1st aid kits specific to the area & show proper wash methods - sterilization with small amt. of bleach although most cubs camp with disposable eating materials).

----Nature Hikes & games - themed to hold cub attention and then playing group games with a purpose, where to go, and what to look for at Cub Level.

----Stoves, lanterns, and fire Safety - more indepth equipment, and the fire safety ideas to keep cubs safe and how to put out the fire safely.

Course recognition - distribute cards

I can send you the syllabus it easy reading and worth looking at.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Yep that's the knot.

As for the training, got my card in the mail yesterday and can now teach the course :) Went to another site to download syllabi, etc to start planning a course in the fall, and noticed that it is possible to teach BALOO, IOLS, and OLS-W simoultaneously if you have enough staff to cover the differences sicne there is overlap. Me thinks it might be possible to do that, if A) I can get the council training chair to agree with it, and B) I can get enough staff.

Why do I feeling I am going to be asked to fill the training chair vacancy for the district again?

I got a crazy idea all of a sudden, if leader trainign is modular now, why not the outdoor skills?

The BALOO course I use runs from 9 am to 4 pm..

The Outdoor Skills course is taught with overnight camping and runs all day covering the basic Scout skills & how to teach them.

I think your target groups differ and it may be easier to get it all in one weekend (1 day for BALOO with a real night-time campfire program and let that night of camp setup count as the start the Outdoor Skills which will be covered in the next day.

If you tried to cram it on one day, you end up with the course that does may not benefit the inexperienced cub Leader as much....who needs it more than the more experienced camper.

Personally, I'd like to see overnight with BALOO so you can present a night-time campfire, cracker barrel, and cover a simple breakfast. After all BALOO is for Cub Overnight.

We have held BALOO the same weekend, at the same place, as Webelos Outdoor, and IOLS. The only time we combined any part of BALOO was when my son did a couple of DO cobblers, and everyone came together for dessert after lunch. Other than that, everyone was doing their own thing, in their own training, in different parts of camp.

We combine parts of Webelos Outdoor and IOLS, and both are overnighters. However, BSA specifically states that BALOO should NOT be merged with any other training. BSA also states that BALOO is not intended as an overnight experience.