Hazardous Weather isn't that new. Its been there a few months.

I had to go thru the MyScouting portal to see the new training. The OLC website doesn't list the new courses.

I wiped thru both COS & TS, but then I've gone thru the live courses a few times.

Click23 and Fellow Scouters,

Concur with dg98adams, I think completion of the Hazardous Weather is a requirement for submitting a tour permit, and actually a printed checkbox on the newest tour permit form.

Hazardous Weather has always been a discussion during my districts IOLS/OWL/BALOO course. We relay real life experiences which have been spoken about in the news over the years. About a tornado going thru the Scout building, about amputated fingers due to frost bite, about the exhausted driver (and van full of Scouts) crashes, the lost Scouts which wonder away from the campsite, about the drownings when SSD is not complied, and etc. During our outdoor courses, we discuss the worst things that have happened, (the death of a Scout/Scouter) and what planning (specifically weather avoidance) could have happened to prevent it.

So I'm glad to see some new courses (or old courses) going online.

Other new courses coming out; For those of us that train and/or comment at Roundtable, watch for the new "What is Scouting" to replace New Leaders Essentials.

A few friends have asked at our Roundtable, does that mean they have to go thru the NLE/"What is Scouting" again.

My immediate (but not authoritative) answer was, "No, not yet". It is expected to be the same as NLE (or the What is Cub Scouting, What is Boy Scouting and What is Venturing factsheets), but just a different name and online. Good training, but I bet it will only be a refresher of NLE. However, brand new Scouters should enroll for all these courses prior to our district's semi-annual outdoor courses.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I seriously doubt that anyone will be required to take What is Scouting if they already have NLE. Our SM was trained before the current courses... I think the course he took was called Scoutmaster Fundamentals. At any rate, he didn't become untrained when the changed the curriculum.

Hal

• 2 weeks later...