Boy to Man...Reremembering...

SR540beaver nudged my memory with his last post...

Is it a good thing to get the Scouter to reconnect with his/her childhood? Remembering what it was like? Is it possible that some of our successes are based on (in one case) remembering what worked with us OR (in another case) overcoming what didn't work with us?

Is the really good Scouter (RGS) one who remembers (or corrects?) their past?

What does that say about the oft-mentioned-in-these-forums 'problem Scouter' (PS?)?

Too many questions?

Well, its kind of complex.

One problem I see is the person who loose track of the fact that they are now an adult. This means that they need to let the kids be kids, and step back. There are always problems when some adults seem to try to 'relive' their childhood, or try to act like they are the SPL or PL, rather then SM, ASM or what have you.

It is a good idea that you have a 'child like' outlook or mindset, at least to the point that you understand what DOES attract boys, what doesn't, what works, and what doesn't work. But sometimes you also have to balance that in terms of what works TODAY vs what worked 'way back when'.

(This message has been edited by emb021)

I think it is important to remember what it was like to be a boy to enable yourself to allow them to dream their program as big as they want. Then I think it is important to guide them and train them, but stay out of their way. I'm perfectly happy to go on our outings and sit back and relax while watching them from afar to make sure they all come home in mostly one piece.

I try to be a really good Scouter (RGS). I know I am not perfect.

As a Scout I have had very good memories dealing with some really good Scouters. And a very bad experience with a Problem Scouter (PS).

My experiences as a youth define me now as a Scouter. I am very vigilant of looking out for the best interests of Scouts and am not afraid to stand up to other Scouters who may be doing things harmful to Scouts.

For better or worse that is who I am - all shaped by my youth.