The past weekend I took the Cub Scout Shooting Sports Certification course at our local University of Scouting. The instructor read out of a book (blue cover) that I believe to be the BSA Shooting Sports Guide but I did not see the cover nor did I think to ask. He said that we should all get one, then when I went to talk to our scout store and some people at council, I was informed that the only people who get this book are those who attend National Camp School. I was told the book wasn't even sold through national, so basically there was no way I could get it, unless given it.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this book? I am planning to teach either BB's or Archery at Cub Scout Day Camp this summer and would really like to have a copy of it.

There's a guide that is readily available for purchase - I used to have a copy when I was the Archery range master at cub day camp. I bought a new copy at the scout shop each year that I did this for my assistant range masters, and no, none of us had been to NCS. It has been about 5 years since I last did this but I would be surprised if the book is now restricted. I suspect your scout shop person was just misinformed or confused about what you were asking for. So, you may want to try again and maybe email your cub day camp team to ask them to help you track it down too.

Back when I went thru the same training we were issued a book with instructions on how to set up the different ranges with diagrams etc. There is no way that anyone could be expected to remember all the details. This may be the item you are seeking it is cub scout specific.: Shooting Sports for Cub Scouting, No. 13-550

The 13-550 is the right number, it is the exact book the instructor used. However, my problem lies in the fact that I can't get a hold of one of those books. My council (whether they are right or wrong) says they can't get me one and that I can't buy one. When I looked online at scoutstuff, I can't find it there either. So I really don't care if I am supposed to or not supposed to have the book, rather where do I get it.

If you see items with numbers of the form xx-xxx, its a bin literature item, and must be ordered by your council. You will not see these items on scoutstuff, nor be able to order them them. The item must be ordered by your council. It may be its restricted and your council can't order it (maybe its something that can only be obtained when you go thru training). Ask why they can't order it.

1) Go to your Day Camp Director and tell them you need one if they expect you to run their range next summer.

2) Go to your DE and tell them the same thing.

3) Go to your district committee chair and tell them the same thing.

While only the DE is a professional staffer, I would wager that when you explain the situation to your Day Camp director he or she will go bananas and ensure that the booklet gets ordered for you, rather than risk losing his or her shooting sports director. (If none of the above work then you may want to consider whether you'd even want to run a range for goof balls who can't get their acts together enough to get you the book)

When you take the specific certifying course (archery or BB or slingshot) for Range Officer, you should be given a copy of the book. Not necessarily at National Camp School! However, the Cub Scout Day Camp Director book (4" thick) my wife brought home, included the CSSS book. The certifying class I took for archery was given by a man who gave us (literally) photo-copies of two books, saying the one, Cub Scout Shooting Sports was out of print at the time, and the second, from a national archery club training was not Scout approved but really good reference.

Be strict, be fair and be fun. And be safe. Did I say be strict? Yeah, I did.