• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood why adults get so hung up on collecting a chestful of knots.

We are supposed to be in this for the boys, not to see how many knots we can earn and how quickly we can do it by looking for every short-cut under the sun.

Perhaps if that was the basis for how units, districts and councils selected volunteers the we would have that kind of a volunteer population in youthe programs. But it's not.

You need to realize that with 1.2 million adult voliunters you will get people from all walks of life, with a wide variety of characteristics. Not every one is motivated the same way, not everyone will have the same need or desire for recognition. Why people want or don't want recognition is unrelated to why others give recognition.

Recognitions are usually given for very positive reasons. Because of that fact alone there is no reason to view and accept them in a positive manner.

Just as some scouts will try to achieve so will some adults. That in itself is not a bad thing. It is only when the reward becomes more important than the actions that earn it does a person cross the line of mature behavior, and acts more like a child seeking attention just for attentions sake.

It's been my experience that a very small percentage of scouters act in that manner.

Since someone brought up the Scoutmaster Award of Merit knot, I have a question. I was put in twice for this, but it never came through. Not an issue for me, but I feel badly for the SPL and Committee folks who took the time to complete the paperwork.

Does anyone know of reasons why an application would not be approved?(This message has been edited by gwd-scouter)

Hello gwd,

I believe that at the National Council, if the requirements are met, the award is essentially automatic. So the most likely problem was at your local council where the script probably went like this:

"What's this thing?"

(followed by the sound of the application hitting the trash can.)

If your committee and PLC still have copies of the paperwork that were sent in, I would resend them and suggest that they follow up to make sure they are sent to National, received at National and processed.

There really should be no problem as I don't believe that any judgement is involved.

There could be another reason as well.

Here are the requirements,

1. Be a currently registered Scoutmaster who has served in that position for at least 18 months.

2. Have achieved the Quality Unit Award at least once during the period of service.

3. Have completed Boy Scout Leader Fast Start Orientation, New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster and

Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

4. Have a record of proper use of the Boy Scout advancement program, resulting in a majority of

Boy Scouts in the troop attaining the First Class rank.

5. Have a record of

Development of youth leadership through the patrol method

Positive relations with the troops chartered organization

An extensive outdoor program including strong summer camp attendance

A positive image of Scouting in the community

A troop operation that attracts and retains Boy Scouts

As you se some of the requirements are objects and some are subjective. If the local Scout executive or council commissioner feel that you have not met the requirements in section 5 then you r appication will likelly not be sent to NESA..

Neilup and Bobwhite: I suppose either of those scenarios could be correct. I was figuring that since we are such a small troop perhaps our number of first class Scouts wasn't large enough. Or maybe just the fact that we've been a small troop for so long. Maybe because we've only recruited one or two Scouts a year, while one or two age out at the same time, that shows that we (I) am not delivering a good program. Section 5 certainly is subjective and I can see how, because of our size, some may think that I couldn't deliver on some of those items.

I have been told as far as tenure goes you can not double dip. For example, a Scoutmaster can not use his time for the Training Knot (2 years) and then incorporate that into the Scouters Key (3 years). It would take him 5 years to earn both, not 3.

Now I have been told that if you serve in different positions your tenure runs concurrently. For example, I am a Unit Commissioner and Asst. Crew Advisor. I can earn my Scouters Key as a Commissioner and at the same time earn my Training award for Venturing because I am registered in two different positions. I dont see anything wrong with that. On the flip side I see many deserving scouters who because units dont know or its not pushed down from District dont get recognized with the just the basic awards.

"I have been told as far as tenure goes you can not double dip. For example, a Scoutmaster can not use his time for the Training Knot (2 years) and then incorporate that into the Scouters Key (3 years). It would take him 5 years to earn both, not 3."

Your example is incorrect, and the literature states clearly states that a SM CAN use his time for both the Training Award and Key at the same time.

For some reason, this is NOT stated for Varsity Scout Coach, Venturing Advisor or Sea Scout Skipper, which I think is either a major oversight, or very unfair.

There is no concurrency clause stated because unlike the Scoutmasters Key, the Keys for Venturing, Varsity, and Skipper do not additionally require earning the Training Award with its 2 years tenure. None of the Keys require earning the Training Award except the Scoutmasters Key.

Required tenure:

Varsity Scout Coachs Key 3 years

Skippers Key 3 years

Commissioners Key 3 years

Venturing Advisors Key 3 years

Scoutmasters Key 3 years, not 3years for the Key plus 2 years more.

Wouldn't it be more prudent and more tactfull if the nominator did not reveal the nomination to the potential recipient until AFTER the recognition was approved?

Let the nominator break the bad news if they chose to spill the beans ahead of time. I do not see how this is "the council's" responsibility.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Wouldn't it be more prudent and more tactfull if the nominator did not reveal the nomination to the potential recipient until AFTER the recognition was approved?

Yes, very tacky. Nothing good comes from disclosing that. Just like the year our Vigil chair decided to let the list of nominees get released. Bad news.

I've never understood why adults get so hung up on collecting a chestful of knots.

Fgoodwin Im with you here, always been proud of just wearing the only knot that mattered my Eagle. At least, that was until our DC cornered me one night and had a little chat with me. When I tried to blow him off he rebutted pretty aggressively about how it IS about the Scouts when a leader puts in for the Training & Key knots. He tells me it effects the records and statistics that the District uses to show that leaders are qualified and trained, which strengthens their presentation when they approach groups like United Way for donations. It also improves the Council reporting figures for general PR reasons. Plus it sets the example for other adults in direct or non-direct contact positions that continuing education is always needed to keep the program going. I thought the trained emblem on my sleeve would be adequate for that, but having some knots to show reinforces it. So reluctantly I added a few more knots on my shirt, but still think theres still only one that really matters.

As a COR, I am encouraging all of our unit Scouters to earn their various awards. I tell them it is a system of "checks and balances", and the requirements of these awards ensure that we are serving boys and administering a quality program. I actually believe that is true. My underlying reason though is to create Scouters, real Scouters. In most cases I think that once a guy or gal gets a few awards and some recognition, they don't feel inclined to walk away from the program nearly as easily. They have a sense of accomplishment, have developed some friendships, have a feeling of acceptance by fellow Scouters, and a general feeling of self satisfaction because of their service to Scouting.