I have just recently finished my Wood Badge course and am working my ticket as I can. During our last weekend, the staff repetedly referenced an annual ticket, and encouraged all of us to consider doing one. The only problem is no one ever explained the concept of an annual ticket. Can anyone clarify this for me, please?

YiS,

AH

"All Hail the MIGHTY QUAIL!"

Sure Amandeux2,

The ticket you write for completion of the Wood Badge course does not have to be your last. As it was explained to you at the course, this is not the end of your learning but a beginning.

Having a written oplan is an excellent step to realizing and achieving your golas. Some people (myself included) write a new ticket every year. It is a tool for planning and goal setting.

Unlike your Wood Badge ticket you do not need to share it with anyone else or get it approved, altho sharing it with a mentor who can keep you motivated and help you manage hurdles can be very helpful. It is simply a tool for you to use to keep yourself focused and growing.

Amandeux2,

Greetings!

Bobwhite pretty much summed it up.

There is no BSA literature on any annual ticket. Some councils use this practice to continue to ask Scouters to give back. Usually thru District or Council service. (camporee program director, counselors, event managers or specific projects). As Bobwhite said, "this is not the end of your learning but a beginning.", it is a genius way for councils to request Wood Badge Scouters to continue their service to their unit, district, or council.

Sometimes the annual ticket is front-line Scouting where you may serve many Scouts. And yet sometimes behind the lines, where you are serving the council i.e. heavy construction at the Summer Camp facility which will ultimately benefit the youth.

One council where I served, they had a "Silver Spade" Award, which hung in the Council Office and the Training Committee would add an additional brass plate each year. Only Wood Badge recepients who wrote an annual ticket item would be considered for the Silver Spade Award.

If you enjoy the idea of an annual ticket. Of course, complete your Wood Badge ticket first, and earn your beads. Then discuss with your counselor or course director, how you may further serve the Scouts in your Council.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

• 3 weeks later...

Last week, I finished my last two ticket items/goals/objectives from the course.

The number of items I wound taking on since I started working the original ticket could have easily rounded out a WB20C ticket (nine items in three areas?)...

And it's just the beginning, I'm sure. My oldest is checking out of Scouts, and my youngest is a Tiger...

(This message has been edited by eolesen)

By the time I was awarded my beads, I did not care for them as much as an object, as I cared about the things I accomplished in order to earn them. They became a symbol for what I did and inspired me to continue to do more. That's what is meant by an annual ticket.