Periodicity of Youth Protection Guidelines Training

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

Hopefully this will be a brief question and a few short answers.

While submitting a District News article, and discussing Scout Training. I discussed Youth Protection Training.

Bottom line. I have heard and read from many fellow Scouters and Council webpages a variety of answers regarding the time limit (or expiration) of YPG.

I fully believe in the tenets of YPG, and I am not arguing the need for the training. I do want to learn the absolute periodicity for renewal. What publication is this documented in, which Scouters may readily access.

I may be getting old and blind. But I could not find the renewal periodicity in the online YPG, nor the G2SS, nor the Scouting.org website. Maybe I read over the renewal periodicity of YPG and missed it.

I have searched and read Council webpages stating it is only valid for one year and must absolutely be renewed the following year. I have also read various Council webpages stating YPG is good for two years, and absolutely must be renewed or YPG retrained at the end of two years. And...I swear, I've even seen Council webpages which state three years.

Not to be outdone by Council websites, I have heard Scouting Urban myths that YPG training is only good for one year, and National will revoke membership if it is not renewed/retrained.

I have seen National Jamboree application which requires YPG, and Philmont applications which require the current YPG. Of course, YPG is required on Tour Permits, otherwise the permit will not be approved.

Even my own DE years ago, was on the regional YPG implementation team as the most recent edition came out. My DE was verbally instructed a specific periodicity during his National Level training for YPG implementation (not the PDL series) near Irving, but my DE is not able to find it in Black and White.

Do I trust my DE was told this? Of course I do. I have no doubt about this. But again, maybe this was a National level instructor stating a recommended renewal periodicity. and possibly not citing a BSA source document.

So... After all this. I just cannot find a national resource stating the renewal period.

What is the periodicity that YPG needs to be renewed or retrained? And can you cite a National reference? Not a District, Council or Regional reference, but a National document or webpage.

Thanks in advance!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

The reason for the variation is that this is one of those things councils get to set their own rules about. The only national statement I have seen in on the DVD itself, where the DE on the panel says "We suggest you take this training again, every two or three years." (or something like that)

My council requirement is every two years. In addition, the council training commitee has decreed that every district must hold "live" training twice a year.

There is no expiration in our council, which doesn't surprise me. Our neighboring council requires it to be retaken every three years.

I asked our DD about this a couple months ago, and his answer was that it is left up to the individual councils to determine, based on what is required under local and state laws.

If you are concerned about it, a unit can always have more stringent requirements for its leaders.

Aside from roundtable, recurrent training in Scouting doesn't seem to be an idea whose time has come yet, but I do think there's a place for it, especially in this area.

Can't say for sure what the "rule" is, but as I've heard a lot, our council says you should retake YPT every 2 years, but 3 is acceptable. Variation, if you are going to any National High Adventure Camp - Philmont, Northern Tier, Sea Base, or any of the lesser HA camps, you must complete YPT within the last 2 years. Heard about leaders being turned away after making the trip because they weren't "current".

I've never had anyone ask me if I've retaken YPT and I've been in several years, but I've also been through the training several times and done it online several times too.

Cub Scout and Boy Scout YP is online. While the fundamentals are the same, Venturing YP has some gender-specific rules. Sadly, SFAIK, Venturing specific YP training is not online.

If you've done it a few times, the online training allows you to move through the work, revisit the critical information and keep moving along.

Less than an hour a YEAR keeps you fully current. To me, this is a "just do it" kind of moment...

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I certainly concur. Leaders should know and abide by YPG. The basic tenets remain the same. Very little information changes during the YPG revisions. (I believe the last revision was '99, correct?)

Probably the hardest thing to do, is to get parents (non-leaders) to read thru the YPG portion of their sons handbook with their son. The Scoutmaster, Cubmaster and Den Leaders can request the parents to comply, but there is really no validation or an enforcement, only the initials of the parent. Year after year, I've been turn down regarding viewing the youth based movies, A Time to Tell and It Happened to Me. I finally gave the VHSs away as a door prize during New Leaders Essentials.

Fortunately for adult leaders, there are training rosters (or the online learning center) and training reports are sent to our Council registrars.

I concur, a unit cannot really go anywhere without having YPG trained leaders. Rkfrance pointed out, it is a requirement on the applications for all the BSA high adventure events. Since 2003 it has appeared on the adult leader application, that leaders will seek to attend YPG within 90 days.

I tell my fellow Scouters during training YPG is so important, that YPG is the first thing in the handbooks. I certainly concur it is important. But if there is no periodicity (like Safety Afloat or Safe Swim Defense), then I don't like all the differences the begin with self imposed expirations, whether it comes from a unit, district or council.

Just imagine, a heated discussion around the campfire or cracker barrel, all of them swearing it is national policy. "My District says all of our leaders must renew YPG annually!", "Your wrong, My Council say YPG is good for two years, not one!" and yet another Scouter interjects "My pack says YPG is valid forever!"

I would like to settle another Scouting Urban Legends, and get the accurate answer (for myself and fellow Scouters which I meet). Not that YPG is required, not YPGs importance (it is important), but is there really an expiration set by National policy?

Infoscouter has the best source I can see. Where a BSA national source suggest YPG should be renewed.

An hour or two every couple of years may not be much to ask from an avid Scouter or parent. But in some Councils and Districts there is a large distance to drive for training. Thank goodness that National has been releasing an Online Learning Center, but still, not everyone has access to high speed DSL or even dial-up. There is no reason to not achieve YPG, but the need to renew it every year or every two years, when there is no expiration. Do we drive down to the DMV or drivers license bureau ever year to get a new license? No, but we certainly do drive down to the DMV before our drivers license expiration occurs.

Dont let this stop your replies, but if anyone can cite the periodicity from a national BSA publication. I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Crew21 Adv

"Venturing specific YP training is not online."

Which training are you speaking of?

The YPT specific to Venturing adults IS on-line. It's at the On-line Learning Center, along with the generic YPT for other scout leaders.

NONE of the YPT aimed at youth are on-line.

As to this question: "Where a BSA national source suggest YPG should be renewed."

I've asked for this for years and have yet to see this. When it comes to attending National events like Jamboree or NOAC, adults are told to have 'recent' YPT. How recent is not stated (1 year? 2? 3?). Before the availability of the on-line training, it was a bit more problematic for some to get 'recent' YPT. But it would be nice to see a more consistant policy.

"... but if anyone can cite the periodicity from a national BSA publication. I would certainly appreciate it."

"I've asked for this for years and have yet to see this."

In the olden days I would spend days tearing through publications looking for a purported policy cited by others around the Scouting water cooler. At some point you finally realize that there is no such policy.

Save some time and ask the person quoting the policy to show you where that can be found in which publication.

When you serve on staff for National events like NOACs and Jamboree, it says in the applications that you must have 'recent' YPT.

That is what it's said for years. Recent is never defined.

If one does SSD or SA training on-line, the cards clearly state how long the training is valid for (2 years). Not so with the training cards for YPT.

"Do we drive down to the DMV or drivers license bureau ever year to get a new license? No, but we certainly do drive down to the DMV before our drivers license expiration occurs."

Well, my AZ drivers license doesn't expire until my 65th birthday, which is over 20 years from now.... ;)

Trying to prove a negative is impossible -- in other words, if you look for something that doesn't exist, but you don't know it doesn't exist, when do you stop looking? Does the fact that you didn't find what you're looking for after "n" searches mean you've proven it doesn't exist? Or will you find it on your n+1st search?

My point is this: the reason you can't find National guidance on the expiration period for YPT is because THERE IS NO NATIONAL GUIDANCE ON THE EXPIRATION FOR YPT!

Anybody who tells you otherwise bears the burden of proof -- its not up to you to prove their case. If someone claims there is a definite 2 (or 3 or whatever) year renewal requirement, make them quote chapter and verse -- I guarantee you they won't be able to do it.

Let me ask it differently: if National really DID have a standard renewal for YPT, why isn't it printed on the card? Why do they make it so hard to answer the question?

I'll tell you why: because no such requirement exists (at least not from National). Councils may have their own requirements, and some summer camps provide their own definition of "recent" (e.g., within six months, or a year, or whatever).

This is taking on the life of another Scouting urban legend . . .

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings again!

Thanks once again for your posting.

It does seem that there no YPT training expiration. There are requirements for attending larger BSA events for it to be the most current. A unit cannot do much, without having their leadership YPT trained. The new Centennial Award has it as a criteria, along with the tour permits.

I am certainly happy we have YPT for adults and youth. Although, I am disappointed with fellow Scouters loudly discussing expiration/renewal of YPT around a campfire were we should be talking about high school or college football. Or the latest high-tech camping gear.

I did have a Scouting buddy a few years back. He brought up a good point.

This Scouting buddy was a Cubmaster for his two boys at the time. His profession was as a college staff administrator. In addition to Scouts he was a youth soccer coach and an equipment manager for one of his sons baseball team.

He stated along with all the college employee professional training, Fraternization, Equal Opportunity, Diversity, he had to complete a teenage (college student) version of youth protection. He also had to attend a similar seminar each year for soccer. I attended the soccer youth protection session the year before. Then he attended yet another similar youth protection for little league baseball.

I also attended a youth protection seminar when I was a youth correction detention center volunteer counselor. Currently, one of my Assistant Scoutmasters is a Sunday School teacher. Guess what. In addition to our BSA YPT, my ASM had to attend the church's version of youth protection.

I've heard it stated before. And I endorse the idea.

For about twenty, maybe twenty-five years now. The BSA has the best Youth Protection Training program.

Other BSA training is sometimes unique and trademarked to the BSA (i.e. Leading EDGE, Teaching EDGE). While, other BSA training (i.e. Wood Badge) the educational copyrights are purchased from other sources (i.e. Ken Blanchard, Spencer Johnson, Steven Covey)

I guess what I am trying to say is..... It would be nice if there were a U.S. Department of Education based Youth Protection Program. And certified completion and compliance with a federal national program would suffice as training for BSA, GSUSA, Campfire Boys and Girls Club, 4H, FFA, Churches, Child Care Centers, Baby Sitters credential, Schools, College, Youth Sports, etc. A strict federal program could be accepted and reciprocal by these youth based organizations and more.

Like I joked about Drivers License. The G2SS and tour permits are concerned that you possess a driver license and have current insurance. But the BSA doesn't retrain us in how to drive.

On the humorous side, the BSA has 30 minute session on campsite sanitation and how cook over coals and backpacking stoves, this is a portion of Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills. But I crack up, at my Scouting friends who have daughters in the GSUSA. So I am told, the GSUSA has an eight hour (full day) adult leaders session on how to cook on a stove top, in a kitchen, in a regular home. Oh.. I'm laughing right now... To me its a riot, but aren't they being retrained in something they should have learned in high school, or at least college.

I guess my bottom line. I feel there should be a federal youth protection training available, based within the U.S. Dept of Education. Which meets the requirements of professional as well as community organizations.

Thanks for letting me rant for a while. Don't take it as a complaint. But more of an opinion or suggestion where National may be forward looking.

Crew21 Adv

I am aware that some chartering organizations (e.g., the Catholic Church) have their own version of YPT, and perhaps even require that volunteer leaders in Catholic-sponsored units also take the Catholic YPT (I'm not Catholic, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

If that's correct, I think its a great policy.

I'm Episcopalian -- the Episcopal Church also has a version of YPT, but the scope of the required coverage is limited to paid staff only (e.g., youth ministers, church school teachers & admins, etc.). Volunteer Sunday School teachers and Scout volunteers (for example) are not required to take it.

I decided to take the course anyway, just to see what was covered. It was a very good course, much more extensive than the BSA course. But I can see why the Church doesn't mandate it for volunteers -- enforcing additional training requirements might scare them off.

OTOH, I can see a child predator happily going through the training w/o batting an eye and never tipping off his existence to the other adult trainees.

That's why its so important that units ensure the YOUTH are trained to recognize a dangerous (or potentially dangerous) situation and how to respond to it.

And of course, strict enforcement of 2-deep on outings and no one-at-one at any time is so critically important.

I don't know how this applies, but the last 4 years of summer camps that I attended (two different Council camps) required that all leaders held a current YPT card. Current was defined as within the last 12 months.

The on-line YPT is great. I can whip through the training in just a few minutes and do so once per year.

ASM59