Model Leave No Trace campsite example

I received an e-mail for our Course Director asking if the Ship could help out and do the Leave no Trace presentation for Wood Badge.

It seems he is has been unable to get any other Venturers to attend.

I have the syllabus but it doesnt have a very good example of the model campsite.

I remembered some of it from my Wood Badge but my memory isnt what it used to be.

I have done an internet search but havent found an example yet.

Does anyone have a link to an example of the model camp site or something they can send me?

I know I have everything I need to do this but would like an example to make sure it is done correctly.

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/21-117/index.html

This is the Boy scout LNT training from the LNT website

http://www.lnt.org/main.html

The concept is to cause the least disruption so the place to set up camp is on a durable surface: asphalt, concrete, wood platform, rock, Adirondacks, parking lot, or summer camp platforms are the best places at a boy scout camp. Above ground fireplace is a must.

Above ground fireplace is a must.

Hmmmm.... well, maybe.

Better to be fire-free, eh?

Yah, problem is that LNT is ethics more than techniques. Da techniques for different areas (frontcountry, backcountry, pine forest, desert, snow, rainforest, alpine, river, lake, and all kinds of other environments are different dependin'' on the environment. So there just ain''t a single model campsite.

Might be fun to get some WAG-bags, tho :)

Beavah

Open with a large (poster size?) photo of a great place to camp.

Scout one puts it up along with a sign that says "BEFORE".

Scout two replaces the sign with one that says "AFTER" (same photo)

Scout three holds up a sign that says "Any Questions?"

Okay, okay, I know this WB for 21st century isn''t the same course that I took in ''94, but why can''t the course instructors do this? We had 8 patrols, a Coach Counselor for each patrol, all the usual positions for a course in ''94 and no outside people coming in to teach anything. Seems like a good class for the QM to teach.

According to the syllabus in WB for 21st Century, Venturers attend as staff and set up a model Leave No Trace camp site and explain it to WB attendees.

In the course I took we had a separate session on the principles of Leave No Trace that was taught by one of the ASMs.

A Venturer is then assigned to each patrol to assist the patrol to setup a Leave No Trace camp site.

The Venturers also setup and run the problem-solving round robin.

They then become part of the patrol and participate in the Diversity Game and camp fire.

This is done to show how diverse the BSA program is and to expose a WB participant to a part of the Scouting Program (Venturing) that most have little knowledge of.

It also is a great experiance for the Venturer, giving them practical experiance in teaching and talking to a group of people along with the networking for them with both the staff and WB participants.

I had thought of getting some WAG-bags.

I saw a web site that showed how to do a home-made version with zip-lock bags and kitty litter.

Yah, can I ask a question?

Have your ship members ever taken a LNT trainer course? Done much frontcountry & backcountry LNT camping after takin'' a trainer course?

I''m all for usin'' Venturers in WB training. But it should be done right, eh?

Seems like if we want to have a good training experience for da woodbadgers, we''d want to provide them qualified trainers (youth or adult). Seems unfair to the youth to be asked to do somethin'' without proper preparation and experience.

Beavah

This year we elected not to have Venturers model a LNT campsite. The staffers campsite is going to be the model LNT campsite this year.

Two days until our course starts, I''ll let you know how it goes!!!

~CrewMomma

(Humming "Back to Gilwell" all day today...)

Why is the Ship doing this? Because no other Venturing Crews or Advisor would do it.

Over the winter I asked the CD about having the Ship involved in this years WB course.

He wasnt sure about the LNT part but when he couldnt find another Crew to participate he asked us.

I would agree that if they are teaching Leave No Trace that they should have taken a training course.

But, if its anything like the WB I took, they arent really teaching LNT but just need to show how the principles of LNT are used to setup a camp site.

LNT is actually a very small part of what the Venturers are doing, but they do need to supply any items they need.

I just got an e-mail that said he does have some Boy Scouts that are going to help with this so the Ship members wont have to pull this off themselves.