Don't need no Scouter Training...

So I announce at the committee meeting that the National Web site has a new training page titled "Committee Challenge" and the boys and girls around the table react "so?" and we discuss the need for training of the Scout leaders in the Troop. Seems the Charter listing notes that certain of the Adult Leaders don't have the 'Y' in the 'Trained?' column .

Other than practising our splices on hands and feet, how to convince them to go get "trained"? of the utility of getting "trained"? After all, we've all been 'trained' in the ole school of 'hard knocks'; been Eagles, been to Philmont (twenty years ago), led the boys up the Appalachan trail, what's to be gained?

I always thought the coffee and donuts were pretty good....

Ask them:

What is the most recent change in the T-2-1 Advancement plan? Who does that affect?

Answer:

- SM, as program officer

- TC Advancement Coordinator: Does he/she have the most recent updates to Troopmaster (or whatever other automation your unit uses to track advancement?)

- TC Treasurer: Who pays for the SW upgrade?

That's just one little tiny piece of program, in one method of Boy Scouting...

I don't know if this is true in every council, but in my council the recharter paperwork is useless as an indicator of who has been trained in your unit. For some reason, scoutnet (or whatever the pro's system is called) does not record training on the charter package.

Our council keeps training records separately from recharter records. You have to call and ask for the training status of adults in your unit, and the accuracy is kinda hit-or-miss. As a trainer, I urge all attendees to keep their "trained" cards, scan them, and send a PDF copy to council by email to prove their trained status.

It is sad that our council training records are so screwed-up that people have to keep their own records, but it's a fact of life that unit leaders ignore at their peril.

That council must have trained our council the training thing is much the same even worse is the scouts merit badges. They seem to do ranks fairly well for some reason. We must remember though that we do bear responsibility for some of this. GIGO applies if our advancement reports are illegible or worse yet not turned in having bought the MB's at the neighboring council's scout shop promising them that paperwork was turned in to our own council. This unfortunately happens a lot here in our district where the neighboring council's shop is a lot closer, nicer, better stocked and a more convenient drive than our own scout shop.