So what tools did you take from the course that you really do use?

Some old codgers like myself, still talk about training's giving the participants "Tools" to take home that they can use when needed.

I have to say I liked to old course notes that near the bottom of the page stated "I will use the skill of name the skill to do such and such".

Before being put out to pasture, I had seen and staffed the new course a few times and will admit it changed the way I go about doing some things. But that is also true of the older courses.

The old Cub Scout Trainer course did help me work toward being a better trainer.

So the question is what did you take from Wood Badge that you use?

It doesn't matter which course or where you use it.

For example not just in Scouting but also in other areas I found that my understanding of Team Development has been a great help. I find it's easier to work through the stages than run around like a chicken with it's head chopped off wondering what or where I may have gone wrong. (I still do go wrong, but understanding that groups need to go through the "Storming Stage" helps.)

This has nothing to do with the fun or the friends that you may have had or made at the course.

Eamonn.

I find myself going back to the various lessons, thoughts, tools, etc. related to leading change within a group of people (some of whom are disinclined to accept change) on a fairly regular basis in my personal, professional, and scouting life. It isn't so hard to see when a change is necessary or even to figure out what the change ought to be; it is often harder to help build consensus and get buy-in. That's where WB has been helpful for me. Perhaps I'd develop those same skills without WB (I like to think so anyway) through trial and error, but having been through WB gave me a bit of a lens through which to view and re-view efforts I've made, or hope to make in the future, on this front.

For me, I think the biggest thing was learning not to be afraid of change or of leading change. It gave me confidence and better communications skills, as well as a better understanding of how to deal with conficts.

Sue M.

For the beads, or for the boys?

Have you caught the Wood Badge feeling?

Scouting spirit's in the air.

Like woodsmoke rising from a campfire,

You can see it everywhere.

It means more than a badge of wood

That's hanging on a lace;

For your Scouts lives are in your care,

And you must set the pace.

Will you seek to serve our brotherhood

With your minds and with your hands?

A ticket's more than just a good road map

To Gilwell -- it's your plan!

Can you teach and inspire, lead and give

With a friendly and gentle way?

For the men of tomorrow need guidance now

As the youth in our troops today.

Did the course give you a renewed outlook

And motivate you to 'do your best?'

The days and the years ahead will prove

If you've truly met the test.

So, work your ticket, with all of your might,

And the reward is yours to enjoy.

Not beads of wood . . . but the Good Lord saying

You've been "important in the life of a boy."

-- Stanley M. Latta

Bowtied Bobwhites -- Gentlemen of Wood Badge and Scouting

SE-583 - October 1992

Not so much a tool to use, but a concept - the most important thing I got out of Wood Badge was the importance of a boy and how to apply the Scouting Aims and Methods to that end.

Eagle Pete

Teamwork ... While the Patrol is the team we mainly use for the youth, how many teams and teams of teams does it take to deliver Scouting to the units?

Continuing, lifelong training: Reinforced yet again. There is always a different way, an easier technique, a new skill, a new requirement. Being static doesn't help the youth.

The very concept of servant leadership: Scouting doesn't happen unless adults are willing to lend their skills, time and energy to the things which need doing.