I'm an assistant cubmaster for my pack, and just recently learned the date/time/location for my district's roundtables when the quarterly newsletter came in the mail recently (nobody in my pack's leadership knew when they were held). I'm interested in going so that I can keep up with what's going on in the district, and particularly with training schedules. Unfortunately, it appears that the district might only run training for my posititon one time in the fall of each year (not certain, but that just seems to be what I've gathered so far). Are there any options out there to at least get the information from it if I indeed can't get trained during the remainder of the program year?

Kaji, I've been in that position and the waiting was very frustrating. Fast start trainings are online and give a brief overview of the program and each position. A call to your Unit Commissioner to find out the name of the training chairman might be helpful, and you could then contact the training chairman to see if they'd be willing to either set up training now or bring training to you. One problem in this district is that many ask for training, complain at the dates it's held, but when it is tailored to their needs and brought to them, they tend to not show up! If training in your own district isn't available, I second going to another district or council. Also, our council offers council-wide training in addtition to district trainings.

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy Cub Scouting!

When you go to roundtable, put a bug in their ear about providing more trainings.

As has been suggested, the New Leaders Essentials & Position Specific trainings are National trainings and the same all over, so you can take them anywhere you can find them offered.

Ask at roundtable about upcoming training dates. Also, look for a council calendar or training list on your council's website. Many councils have their basic trainings 2X a year (Fall & Spring) to cover the new Leaders.

While on your council's website look for online Fast Start & Youth Protection trainings.

Hmm...Seems I lucked out at Roundtable tonight! A local pack is going to be running a BALOO training session soon, and when inquiring about the Wood Badge course the council is going to be running this August they said that if you pay your deposit for it and don't have the necessary training, they'll make sure you get trained before it starts.

A PACK running a BALOO training? How is this done? BALOO training is another National syllabus &, like NLE, etc, can be taken anywhere, but it should be run by folks from your Council who are BALOO trained & have experience.

Well, it seems like it's more someone's going to be coming to visit the pack to run it for their leaders, but they've invited others from the district to come and participate. It's my first time at a roundtable, so I'm still learning the ropes about how things work above the unit level

Well, I suppose it could be done completely indoors instead of at your local Scout Camp. However, you lose some of the pratical, hands on stuff. It's kind of hard to cook over a campfire if you don't have a campfire & just being told how to set up a camp, instead of actually seeing a sample campsite, is not as effective. Holding it at your camp gives the participants a chance to see what the facilites there are & gives them an idea of what they need to look for in a campsite. Also, it's a lot more fun! Sitting in a room all day (8am - 4pm) being talked at is downright BORING!