BALOO & Cub Scout outdoor program resources

To all you BALOO trainers:

Do you show the "Cub Scout Outdoor Program" video (AV-01V011) as part of your BALOO course? What do you think about it?

Do you provide a copy of the "Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines for 2005" (bin 13-631B)? Its not listed in the syllabus, but is good information to provide in order to show the progression of outdoor activities & camping as teh boys get older.

At my next BALOO, I'm thinking about providing a couple more resources:

13-032, Cub Scout Leave No Trace Award

13-228, Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award

13-508B, Pack Overnighter Site Approval Form

So far, my Council has not approved any non-BSA properties but its own campground for use in Pack camping. I know other Councils have aproved state & national parks.

What does your Council do?

Fred Goodwin

Keystone District Training Chairman

Alamo Area Council

It's been a little while since I took BALOO, but we didn't see any video. I think your other suggestions for references are fine.

As for approved camping areas for pack camping, I'm not aware that our council has any policy. We generally fax the tour permit form in, and never hear any response. Sometimes we go to the Council office in person and they seem to approve whatever we give them. But they've (at least tacitly) approved of National Parks, State Parks, National Forests, a battleship, County Parks, and City Parks. And my guess would be, they'd approve of any place we'd actually want to camp.

Oak Tree

It's been about 5 years since I did BALOO but I don't remember a video. I would also recommend that you take the outdoor skills that goes with New Leader Training. OUr district calls it 4 Winds some others call it other things. It is a great training. I am retaking it this weekend. Even though I also help teach part of it. I like retaking some trainings about every 3-4 years.

Just fun.

My council did not show the video at the BALOO training I took last spring. They also did not include a copy of the Outdoor Guidelines. They did include a copy of approved camping sites in the area. Aside from the BSA camps, the approved campsites include County Forest Preserve Youth Group camps, State Parks, National Parks, and some private camps.

Lynda - What outdoor skills course are you refering to? I have never heard of 4Winds. As far as I know, there is no National outdoor skills training that goes with New Leader training for Cub Scouts. For Cubs you have BALOO (which is required) and Webelos Leader Outdoor Training (which is not required). There is the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, but that is for Boy Scout, not Cub Scout, leaders & I would NOT recommend that as an additional training for BALOO.

There is a Cub Leader outdoor training program, although I'm not familiar with it being presented during the initial training. It's been previously called Webelos Leader Overnight training, and is currently termed Leader Overnight Experience. It's about a day and a half, with training sessions on camping, cooking, nature, first aid, campfires and Scouts Own Service. It's taught in the "den" method, kind of like a mini, mini, mini Wood Badge. Generally, leaders don't participate until they're preparing for Webelos . . . .

I used to be a Bear. . .