Beading Ceremony at a Pack Meeting - Yes or No?

I'd be interested in hearing from all of you about whether it's appropriate to have a beading ceremony at a Pack Meeting. On one hand, I think it might take away from the kids, on the other, it may inspire other leaders and show the scouts that the leaders work hard to provide a good program for them.

I'm faced with this now, since my ticket was approved and I need to pick a time to have my ceremony. Thanks for your responses.

"I used to be a Bobwhite..."

Mike

I'll get mine at a pack mtg on the 29th.

Yesterday I got the birch log.

We will keep it short I'm going to ask the course director to go through my goals one at a time and ask which cubsby show of hands participated in each of the goals to bring it home to them. When you are ten it's still ALL about you.

I also think that they'll like the axe in the log.

Then we'll have cake. who doesn't want cake?

I would also like to hear from others.

We will keep it short I'm going to ask the course director to go through my goals one at a time and ask which cubs, by show of hands, participated in each of the goals to bring it home to them. When you are ten it's still ALL about you.

We will keep it short I'm going to ask the course director to go through my goals one at a time and ask which cubs, by show of hands, participated in each of the goals to bring it home to them. When you are ten it's still ALL about you.

I was considering the same thing when I was planning my ceremony. At the time I was a Cubmaster.

Alot depends on your particular pack. How much adult recognition have you been presenting up to this time? How many boys/adults regularly attend your pack meetings? Are your boys acustome to a ceremony which is less flashy than the typical pack meeting ceremonies? Are the parents/leaders of your pack relatively enthusiastic about the Scouting program in general?

In my case I chose not to present a Wood Badge ceremony to my pack. I felt that neither the boys nor most of the adults would fully appreciate it. I did announce when and where the ceremony would be held and made a general invitation to the pack to attend so that anyone who truely was interested would make the effort to go to the ceremony. None showed... I was not surprised. Some of the Boy Scouts did attend and that was great.

IMHO, there is alot of meaning in a Wood Badge ceremony that is not really well understood by boys ages 7-10. I am in favor of presenting adult recognition to the Cubs, but this is typically for recognizing volunteers who go the extra mile or parents who helped out.

Personally, I'd recommend doing it at a Roundtable or some other "grownups" event. As others have mentioned, most in attendance at a Pack meeting will have no idea what WB is about, and a beading ceremony alone won't clear the fog for them. Plus, it is supposed to be about the boys -- when I was a Cubmaster, the farthest I'd stray from that is when a hard-working adult volunteer was graduating or moving on, we'd briefly recognize them at a crossover, B&G, or Pack meeting, but my rule of thumb was "no longer than you can hold your breath". Besides, the Scouts and their parents aren't the WB target audience -- the leaders are. And, they should be at Roundtable, in an adults-only environment, where the District staff can do some real arm-twisting and use you as an example. Just my opinion; I could be wrong.

BTW, congratulations on completing your ticket! I remember what a great feeling it was when I received my beads...

KS

The first Wood Badge beading I ever saw (and the first time I heard of Wood Badge) was at a district Webelos Woods, held at the Council camp. The event was for Webelos to get a feel for what they would be doing as Boy Scouts, each troop demonstrating / teaching a specific Scout skill.

During the evening campfire, the Beading took place. I was impressed. Very impressed.

I was "just a Dad" accompanying my Webelos son at the time. But, shortly after my son crossed over, I crossed over: from "just a Dad" to ASM. I took all the training and when the SM left town, I became the SM. Would I have stepped up and taken on the challenge of adult leadership without having seen that Beading ceremony? Maybe. But the camaraderie and respect I saw, especially illustrated in the Back to Gilwell song, made it seem like I would be joining a group of people I had admiration for. And it looked like fun.

Now, my beading is set for our Troop's Court of Honor next month (a triple beading!) and I have invited many Scouters to participate.

Who knows? We may end up making a lasting impression on one or more of the "just a Dads" or "just a Moms" in the audience.

- Oren

Scoutmaster

Troop 14

Sebastopol, CA

WE3-41-03

"I used to be Bear."

WE3-41-05

I'm gonna be the QM