This is a great thread. There are a lot of good ideas and I'll steal some of them in good conscience.

In another thread, on the topic of training, I'll post the course outline for PDL-I. That's DE 101 school. You might find it interesting.

One of the best trainers I ever saw was the director of the professional BSA People Management Level 1 course I took. This guy was able to keep 30 professionals interested and engaged for 8 hours a day for 5 days straight.

We had the tent-nametags as well. In one memorable discussion, some professional made a smart-alec remark. The trainer calmly walked to the center of the square, took the pro's name tent, tossed it to the floor and stomped on it! All in good fun, but I'm sure that pro thought twice before voicing her opinion again.

He also had hearing aides and would get feedback if he held his hand close to his ear. He called it his BS detector and used it liberally. These may sound like negative things in training, but his sense of humor and impeccable timing made the course fun and memorable for all.

DS

• 3 weeks later...

On Power Point...

I find that speakers are often nervous, it helps to have them practice and practice if they are not used to using PPT. The transition speeds vary from system to system, so practicing on the system you'll use for the show is good to do.

I set PowerPoint to back up on Right click rather than "pop up" the menu... (Tools -> Options -> Uncheck "Pop up menu on right click") This way the speaker can back up really easily if they need to.

Also, printing the Slide Sort as screen shot makes it easy for the presenter to hop around the show if need be. Great for the end of the presentation when they are typically being asked questions. In PowerPoint - in presentation mode - you can use the number keys and enter the slide number and move directly to that slide. (For example you've given a 40 minute presentation with a chart on slide number 14. When you're done some askes to review that slide. Type "14" on the keyboard and hit enter and PPT will hop you to that slide.)

FYI... This is my first post! (Ever!!!!) I am really glad I found this forum... looks like I'll be digging the archives and reading here a good deal in the future. Dave

DaveF

Welcome to the happy band.

It sure seems that you are "Up" on this Power Point, stuff.

Have to admit that it is all new to me. I only started to use it, when the training changed and then was only presenting the stuff that was in the box.

It has only been this past year or so that I have started to make my own presentations. As ever just by "Tinkering" with it.

I do keep telling myself to try and find the time to take a few classes - But....

It is great that you found us,

Again Welcome

Eamonn

Unfortunately, I think Ed's point needs to be stressed.

I do not run BSA training, but making job related presentations is part of what I do at work. I also send many of my staff to conferences on a regular basis (usually on really mind-numbingly boring things like health care finance and accounting, Medicare regulations, et cetera). Bad presentations can make these subjects (if possible) even more unendurable.

The biggest complaint - "The presenter just read the slides to us, then the session was over, with no time for interaction."

The presenter should know the subject and use the A-V presentation as a guide.

There should always be some kind of handout - if Power Point - print out the slide show as a "Handout", in grayscale, with no more than 2-3 slides per page. The program adds space (lined) for notes by the audience.

I also print out a set of Power Point slides in "Slide Notes" print format, and put the important details (not on the slide) that I want to add or stress. I like Eamonn's idea of different colors and symbols....

Build in time for questions. Better presentations are in a "roundtable" format.

Also, make sure to bring your sense of humor. Murphy is at his best when you have to get up in front of an audience. Something will go wrong, or be forgotten at home.

Make sure you have enough sharpened pencils (or other writing utensils)for everyone attending - so they can make notes on your presentation on the relevant slides on the handout you just printed. Maybe clipboards, too, if there is not a writing surface at every seat.

Have two extra of everything -i.e. using an overhead? Two spare light bulbs, two extension cords, two adapters. Try to figure out whta could go wrong and have a Plan B.

Visit the room where ther presentation is going to be made beforehand (if possible). Sit in the seats. What problems can you foresee as a member of the audience? Poles in the way? No outlet for computer up front? Can you address these beforehand?

And spending time with the attendees in a non-classroom setting is very important. When my staff does come back with really good ideas, it almost always turns out it came from something said over lunch, or dinner, or some where other than the presentation.

Yes Sir, reading every slide is a no no.

I also dislike it when I'm given a handout and someone reads that word for word.

As far as handouts go it is a real good idea if you can have these pre-punched, with a sheet that acts as a cover.

While I do really like the new Wood Badge Course, and have made a promise to follow the Staff Guide.(National wants to see if the course works, and they can't really do that if everyone is doing their own thing!!)

I do miss the 30 day meeting. It was nice to see the participants in person and find out what their needs were.

I was talking with the Wood Badge coordinator, for Greater Pitt. And he tells me that they had a person show up for the course that was blind.

Sad to say the person had not let them know before hand. We do send out all sorts of forms, but not everyone is happy giving out all their information.

A cover and a back, maybe cardstock.

Half the time I open my briefcase when I get back from a meeting or training conference, the first couple of pages of handouts are almost always somewhat crumpled.

Cost will beocome an issue if we do all of these things.....

Marty, good suggestion...

Help me understand what what you are looking for. Is it a "PowerPoint How to ..." (create; edit; insert artwork; formating; using templates; etc...) or is it more of a "Drivers manual for PowerPoint presentations" or more of "Tips for Presenters / public speaking pointers booklet"? I guess it could easily be all of the above ((and then some)).

If I am going to spend time on this I don't want to miss the target.

Another thing... any suggestions on how to share it once its done?

Dave

I was just following up on Eamonn's post. I didn't mean to volunteer you. But since your hand is up...

I would guess that those posters who currently use PowerPoint "kludge" their way through (or maybe it's just me), so a combination of all three.

Any and all hints, tips and tricks would be appreciated.

E-mail the final version as an attachment to any intersted poster (who could make a nominal donation to your unit)??

Any other thoughts from other than DaveF?

Dave: if you create it I can provide you with a place to put it on our web server. (www.onmyhonor.com)

All: Lerned a great method to use with presentations that use projecters... Use a white board in place of a screen. Put the slide up and than mark it up all you want... circle, underline, fill in the blanks what ever. Then just wipe the board clean when your done wiht the slide. Or have some fun by inserting a second slide that matches the filled in answers with a bit of humor.

• 9 months later...