I Survived Cub Scout Day Camp 2012

Yep I survived. I had a most excellent time with my Tiger, although he would rather me "go away." It was funny, I'd try to help him do BB guns and he would say 'I know daddy, I know.' and ignore me. But when the BB director would come over and tell him the exact same thing, he listened. Also he was the biggest instigator. He got the entire den singing the two Cub Scout drinking songs almost all the time.

We had some challenges at camp this year. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with them, although I heard a lot about them. And I was asked twice to come back as PD. Don't know if that will be possible. Oldest is interested in resident camp, but my work situation is "in motion." One of my coworkers' cancer has come back and when I left last week, we had no idea what would be going on. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. Would love to do it, but don't know if it is possible.

""He got the entire den singing the two Cub Scout drinking songs almost all the time.""

When our theme was "Medieval Adventure", some of us would emcourage the Cubs to "drink to the health of our soveriegn Queen (the Camp Director)!! To the Queen!!" and throw back some water in our mugs. We were chastised for "encouraging childhood alcoholism" and told to stop.

I would be interested to hear the Cub Scout drinking songs?

"Ein, Drei, suffa!"

Well, yeah, but what were the songs?

Are they worth passing on?

All I know is Marty Robbins and his "Cool, Clear Water"

All day I've faced a barren waste

Without the taste of water, cool water

Old Dan and I with throats burned dry

And souls that cry for water

Cool, clear, water

Keep a-movin, Dan, dontcha listen to him, Dan

He's a devil, not a man

He spreads the burning sand with water

Dan, can ya see that big, green tree?

Where the water's runnin' free

And it's waitin' there for me and you?

The nights are cool and I'm a fool

Each star's a pool of water

Cool water

But with the dawn I'll wake and yawn

And carry on to water

Water, water, water

Keep a-movin, Dan, dontcha listen to him, Dan

He's a devil, not a man

He spreads the burning sand with water

Dan, can ya see that big, green tree?

Where the water's runnin' free

And it's waitin' there for me and you?

Cool, clear, water

Cool, clear, water

Knights Theme

Late last nite, when we were all in bed

That old dragon had a cold up in his head

And when he coughed and sneezed

He burned the farmer's shed

There'll be a hot time, for the old Knights tonite

WATER WATER WATER!

Pirate theme

Yo-ho yo-ho a Cub Scout's life for me.

We're Cubs, We're the best

And we have the knack

DRINK UP ME HEARTIES YO HO

(PAUSE FOR DRINKING)

We hike and we camp

And sometimes backpack

DRINK UP ME HEARTIES YO HO

(PAUSE FOR DRINKING)

Yo-ho yo-ho a Cub Scout's life for me.

• 1 month later...

I think we seriously need t-shirts with the thread title on them :)

Was my first day camp this last summer and I enthusiastically volunteered for the entire week :)

Running around in the hot weather with 10 kids for 7 hours a day was exciting. I am just glad I had a bathtub to soak in at night.

Next year my husband will be taking the week off to attend all week too. He only took one day off this year to come help out, and while I am out there sweating chasing kids, his job was to sit in the one air conditioned building on the property and teach the kids camping skills/first aid.

So he had a great time and couldn't understand why I was exhausted everyday lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Put me down for a dozen of those t-shirts! Our Pack went to camp as two groups across 2 weeks with 27 boys. The first week I had one boy who was finally told that the only way he could return was with a parent by his side, he was a no show on Friday. I was very sympathic to this young Scout at the beginning of the week, but then a pattern became clear and his behavoir was out of control, agressive, and disrupting the other scouts from getting the full experience. My sympathy was in part because I knew he had some attention issues, but also because it was over 90 degrees day after day and everyone was affected. However, he became more and more agressive as the week went on.

The following week a Tiger Cub that I 'had an eye' on since a pretty small incident at our Spring Campout, took another Tiger behind a bush and punched him.

So sign me up for a dozen t-shirts because I have some other Moms who really enjoy getting one of them!

I do have a question:

In our Den we have two boys with attention issues. We had 2-3 chaperones attending each day with 13 Scouts. But honestly, with these two boys, it really took 1 person almost full-time to make sure they were on board and safely handling equipment. Have other Packs implemented a 'with Parent only' policy or anything like that for boys with attention issues to attend Camp? The Chaperones were very busy in general with the boys keeping them well hydrated and moving from one session to the next. (no intention to offend anyone here, my intentions are for the best for all the scouts.)

As a den walker/volunteer you are well within your right to refuse to take responsibility for a boy who isn't acting in a scout like manner....

I refused to take a boy to camp with out mom.... he was an ADD/ADHD young man who was angry at the world.....Mom takes him off his meds during summer and he becomes the tasmanian devil. Well mom refused he didn't go, now back in school back on his meds and he is manageable for someone who can't hit him with a 2x4 to get his attention.

There is no reason you need to put up with someone elses poor parenting....

Thanks basementdweller. The one boy I know tries hard. The other boy has these spontaneous bursts of aggression that he seemingly 'has' to act on, and it can be towards an adult or child. He snapped at the one mom that was chaperoning with me. I made him sit down and cool off and gave him one chance to understand his poor behavior and apologize or he was headed home. It took him 10 minutes to get to that point. But as I listened to him apologize, it was obvious he's had to do it MANY times and this is a 3rd grader(now). Anyway, it's interesting to think about the length of time you are with boys at a summer camp versus a 1 hour den meeting. I just noticed different things about the boys.