Higher Standard of Excelence - Cub Scout Den Aceivements

I'm not saying you just sign them off for showing up.

But as Tigers, I don't hold them to the same standfards I hold Webelos Scout.

Each year, the progression of what is expected get higher.

As Tigers, It's more about getting used to being there and doing stuff. This is a "intro" level of scouting. Kinda notice they still have parents with them?

Just saying, you can cut them alot of slack at this point.

Besides, you cannot really hold a TIger any more responcible for what they have done than you can hold the4 DL and parents responcible.

They are not of the ability to go beyond what their parents & DL will lead them in.

Know what I mean? Tey are not of the mind set to think: "WEll, the DL only did this, but the book says I should do this much more."

They take what you tell them and require of them as the gospel.

"What's so tough about doing a Go-See-It? "

Can be lots of reasons: Sometimes, it's hard enough to get home from work, get the boys fed and make sure homework is all done, then out the door and to the meeting on time.

Alot of the places we go for go see it's do not have ample parking room for much more than the employees that work there.

Our local FD is less than 2 blocks away, but they never designed a parking are to accomidate 12 cars from parsnts visiting at one time.

Sheriff's Dpt is over 35 miles away ( down the interstate) so having a deputy come to the CO and bring a police dog with him to run around outside the CO is just as good. Alot of police depts and sheriff's dept no longer allow people to go inside the holding areas any more due to issurance andf safety reasons. Besides, you don't really want your scouts interacting with inmates do you?

Being able to experience a visit to a fire or police station is great fun for boys. Absent a good reason, they are being short changed if they don't get to go."

See above.

Look at it this way also: How many of these scvouts ever see a fire truck up close at home? How about the inside of a police car while at home?

How about an ambulance or military humvee( military parents are awesome resources!)

So, even though having a visitor come to the CO isn't as cool as going to the visitors place of occupation, it is definantly way above and beyond what a scout gets otherwise on a normal day.

Do your best. But also make compromises when the alternative is not being able to do a go see it.

another bunch of good points.....

Scoutfish said, "They are not of the ability to go beyond what their parents & DL will lead them in."

That's exactly my concern, that the expectations and precedents are now set low.... but then as you say, set the bar higher and higher.... a progression. I'm starting to get that point. I need to think about how broach the topic with the DL. I think that her bar is set to this low expectation....

Also, your points about the boys missing out if go see its are skipped...... I see this as a big driver to interest in the program.... excitement level, etc.....

blw2,

Just to clarify, I think the notion that if you're around for the year, you get the award is incorrect. That's just something that I'm seeing in this pack and trying to improve. I think we're on the same page here.