Handling a hygiene issue

I am an ADL for a 4th grade Webelos den. In the den, we have a boy who has major hygiene issues that are compounded by unlaundered clothing. In other words, it's not just a typical sweaty and smelly boy who needs a shower after a few days at camp. It is really, really bad.

The DL and I really don't know how we should address this, if at all. The dad is involved in the Pack and is there working with the boy and doesn't seem to share the same hygiene problem or notice his son's. Do we have a meeting where we talk about "A scout is clean?" But a shower will not solve the problem when it's clear that the boy's clothes aren't making it into the washing machine.

The boy is a good kid who loves scouts...we want to be helpful...I dunno!

Is the boy wearing a uniform, where possibly no one thinks to wash the uniform?

If the father doesn't have the same problem, obviously there are laundry days at the house. Also it is not a family wide problem.

I would pull the father aside to have a private talk with him.. See if he can't pull the clothes away for a wash, if he knows it is being noticed.

Talk to the parents.

Actually I am rather surprised the other Webelos have not made a point to bring this up to the Scout. Most boys that age are not shy about LOUDLY expressing themselves. Especially about something as obvious as you say this is.

My mother had a similar problem with a teenage girl in her youth group at church, but in that situation, the girls mother had a very similar hygiene problem, so I don't believe that the issue was ever resolved. If the dad is showering regularly and washing his clothes, then your battle is not nearly so difficult. I think you should speak the father and tell him clearly and kindly that his son needs a bath and some clean clothes. Be careful not to hide your message in too many euphemisms. It would probably be easier to say nothing and suffer through it, but you are not serving the boy or his family in this way.

My wife is an elementary school nurse and deals with stuff like this all the time. She does call the parents, and in extreme cases, calls Social Services to see if it's a neglect issue. But you'd be surprised how many families are homeless, but still manage to get their kids to school every day. She keeps a supply of clean clothes in the clinic in case of "accidents", and sometimes brings their clothes home to launder them herself. Talk to the parents, not in an accusatory way, but to reach out (confidentially) and offer help if needed. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, give the school nurse a call. She may not be able to "discuss" with you, due to confidentiality, but might appreciate the "heads' up" to investigate a little further. It could be a medical issue that can be fixed.