University of Scouting

So, I volunteered my services at University of Scouting to teach a session called pack admin...the basics. My only guildelines really are to talk about best practices and have some discussion time.

My question is: what should I cover because there is SO much and so many directions I could go in. any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!!

I would not use a committee chairman course......

What I wish I knew about running a pack when I started

Finances.....real life not crap from a book

Treasurers job, solid financial practices, two sig checks, Pack budget, Expenses. Dues vs Pack program fees. Fundraising.

Advancement.....real life not crap from a book

Advancement chairs jobs. Time constraints, graduation to next rank, crossover. Tiger den and webelos den. Advancement packages

Going Camping.....

Paperwork and local proceedure to aquire a tour plan. Required adult training, baloo weather. Designated sites...brief appropriate activity

Pinewood....blue and gold......Summer camp promotion.

Why would I pay good money to see a rehashing of what I can get on line for free????

I would break it up into advancement, outdoors/activities, financial and Administrative. Give about 1 minute on each and let the group decide which they would like to explore further.

Don't forget to include coverage of, and links to, the top Pack management sites (ScoutManage, PackMaster, ScoutTrack).

Is there going to be a separate class on Pack finances? If not this should be included.

The Pack and it's Charter Organization (reporting practices, donations, etc).

Get copies of the BSA pamphlet "Selecting Cub Scout Leadership" to hand out.

Ditto what Basement and Scoutnut said.

But just the basics. No need to go into deep detail since , like you sid, there are so many directions you could go with this.

I'd print a sheet that lists links to BSA's Form site, G2SS, Cub Trax, Scout Trax, Pack Master and Troop Master as well as Pack Ledger.

Give them links and directions to find the stuff they need to know. Just go over each thing on a basic level.

Other things should include two signatures on each check. Scout accounts, selling and fundraising.

And a pack/troop training chair so units get somebody who can kep everybody up to date and straight on who needs what anf what is rrquired versus what is just extra - case in point: BALOO is required for pack camping while Webelos Outdoor is not required but just extra. No Baloo, no pack campouts! PERRIOD! Tell them to have 4 or 5 people take it.

And then explain the difference between a CC and CM , what their duties are and who is "supposed" to do which duities and responcibilities.

If you have real life exdamples or experiences ..bring them up as they are easier to relate to that hypotheticxal situations.

I'd also cover pack communcations. Newsletters, email lists, parent handbooks, and orientation meetings.

They may be teaching another whole course on the topic, but I would touch on Journey to Excellence and the recordkeeping involved to earn it. Its a whole lot easier to keep track of all the criteria while the year is progressing, rather than trying to scramble and find the numbers at recharter time.

Things like working as a team with a common vision could not be stressed enough, as well as the main goal of any committee is too make sure the kids and the leaders are geetting and providing the best program possible.

You can't have an active Pack without money and safeguarding it. A lecture on good financial controls over the Pack's bank account is needed. Also, how to set up a bank account for your Pack if you do not already have one.

Since you are focusing on Administration, I would not spend time on ideas on how to plan a PW Derby, Blue and Gold, or Campout. Rather, explain the different committee positions and their various roles in supporting the Pack program.